Tourist Attractions

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 8 April 2007 5.47pm
My wife's sister and her partner will be coming for a week in London from the USA in July, what are the top must see things in London for tourists to do.
Its just that living with it all on your doorstep you get a bit blasé about it all. I am also thinking about going outside of London, perhaps spend a day at a typical sea side town like Brighton, Gt. Yarmouth or perhaps even spend a day at the Isle of Wight but we only have one week so cannot see everything.
Any suggestions??
Sunday 8 April 2007 7.58pm
Highgate cemetery. There are the two sides. The side where you have to have a tour guide is the good one. Its overgrown and has a pyramid and the Egyptian corridor and amazing graves. It looks like a Hammer Horror film and that's because loads were filmed in there. It's one of the best things to do in London.

If your guests are from a city get up to the heath too.

Get the local history little books (from library or Vinopolis) on Bankside and Borough so you can point things out, like the seat in the wall of that greek place (I think) at the top of Bear Gardens. They say Elizabeth I sat on it waiting for the ferry.
Sunday 8 April 2007 10.49pm
Boat trip down the Thames from Westminster Pier to Greenwich would be #1 on my list of things to do :-)
Tuesday 10 April 2007 1.08pm
Tuesday 10 April 2007 10.50pm
I think Brighton might be preferable to Great Yarmouth!

How about taking in (most of?) the following?

St Paul's, the London Eye, the Houses of Parliament, the National Gallery, the British Museum, the royal parks, Tate, Westminster Abbey, the V&A, the Tower of London, Camden or Portobello, Hampstead & Highgate, a West End show or - for something quintessentially British - either a football match or afternoon tea at one of the smart hotels (e.g. the Lanesborough).
Thursday 12 April 2007 9.36am
Greenwich - you have the market as well as the observatory and the museums. You can get the boat there from Tower pier so combine a boat trip as well.

Windsor Castle is usually a favourite and Hampton Court-even better if the flower show is on. you could book to go on one of the ghost tours of an evening which would be different.

there are loads of guided walks round London as well which are interesting

Brighton would be good as have tha pavillion as well as the beach so something to do if it rains

Buckingham palace may be open then as well
Thursday 12 April 2007 11.01am
Dont leave out Inner London. The City is full of history, the Guildhall, St.Pauls, Cheapside, Lombard Street and the Bank, Spitalfields, Fleet Street...every corner with a story.
Thursday 12 April 2007 11.46am
Recent guests (from Slovakia) really enjoyed a trip to Whistable for lunch - great traditional fish and chips - or a much posher oyster restaarant) followed by Canturbury.

Its very quick down the A2, whereas Brighton can be a slog by car. (Though train is different.)
Thursday 12 April 2007 1.43pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Dont leave out Inner London. The City is full of history, the Guildhall, St.Pauls, Cheapside, Lombard Street and the Bank, Spitalfields, Fleet Street...every corner with a story.

And preferably outside working hours since you really can't move around for all the people getting to and from places. It's very eerie walking around here on a Sunday.....
Saturday 14 April 2007 2.04am
Question is wheter you really wanna do the top tourist things or show them 'your' London.

I personally love to roam around (walking & hopping on busses) with visiting tourist and show them the little backstreets, tucked away squares / churches and other little gems I have come across living in this city.

Things I have showed visitors before:

Vertigo 42, the wine and champagne bar on top of Tower 42 (it used to be called Nat West Tower) and yes, it's on the 42nd floor with about 270 degrees of view through the floor to ceiling windows. Opening times are a bit tricky - closed on weekends- and you HAVE to book roughly the day before but IMO still well worth the effort!

Columbia Road flower Market on Sunday mornigs is usually rather nice.

If your guest are into classical music take them to a concert at Wigmore Hall.
Or see the Ballet or an Opera at the Royal Opera House.
Don't forget about Southbank Centre, Sadlers Wells, NT and Barbican for more music / performances.

Hampstead heath with possibly a swim in one of the ponds or the lido!

Brick Lane incl. Truman Brewery area, Smitfield Market area, White Cube Gallery, Serpentine Gallery, Bar Italia and Ronnie Scotts' in Soho....there's so much more one could do......and a week only has seven days...

wjfox20004, jackies and longlaners recommendations get my vote too!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: