Are you religious?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Sunday 8 April 2007 9.59pm
It staggers me - in this day and age - how many people still believe in all this religious nonsense. The whole concept just seems totally irrational to me, and I'm surprised there aren't more atheists around.

It's so easy to debunk and pick apart the Bible.

Check out some of the questions in this thread -
http://tinyurl.com/2snfhv

Also, a good book I'd recommend is "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins.
Sunday 8 April 2007 10.54pm
I saw your thread & thought "I'll recommend The God Delusion" but you beat me to it!

A brave thread to start, I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Monday 9 April 2007 12.28am
wjfox2004 wrote:
It's so easy to debunk and pick apart the Bible.

What, all of it?
Monday 9 April 2007 7.25am
a)I am not in the least religious
b)I would beware however of saying "all this nonsense" in case you seriously offend those who are
c)I was present at a HUGE debate a couple of weeks ago in Central Hall Westminster of Intelligence Squared (a debating forum)
The motion was "Would we be better off without religion?".
For the motion were: Richard Dawkins, Anthony Grayling and Christopher Hitchens.
Against the motion were: Roger Scruton, Julia Neuberger, Nigel Slater, an impressive line up you will all agree.

The discussion was riveting, each participant being of spectacular intellect. The result was 1000+ people in favour of the motion, 700+ against. 100+ dont know. I tell you this because although a majority agreed that religion is not a good thing, a substantial part of the audience didnt agree. This was a highly educated bunch of some 2000 people listening to six brilliantly articulated points of view...and there was no hard and fast conclusion.
Monday 9 April 2007 8.19am
The original post is, itself, staggeringly ignorant and seemingly fairly ill-informed. There are, as Jackie says, people who are quite intimidatingly intelligent who are religious. There are, in fact, many, many, many such people. Yet for every staggeringly intelligent person who believes in God, there's someone who thinks he can disprove theism on a Wednesday night in the pub with a

It's also worth noting that most academic atheist societies have distanced themselves from Dawkins' work on the grounds that it has no firmer an empirical foundation than theism. Joe Public loves it but, academically speaking, it's been a complete flop.

I kind of lost any academic conference in that link in the first post when it started talking about Muslims on Mars and God reattaching severed heads.
Monday 9 April 2007 5.05pm
The Lady Miss Jo Jo wrote:
What, all of it?

It has some interesting stories, but it's packed full of violence, bigotry and prejudice. It's also riddled with contradictions and historical inaccuracies. Some of the claims - particularly those in the Old Testament - are simply laughable. Take the story of Noah's Ark for example. I just can't believe there are people who actually, seriously believe this happened. Over 60% of Americans take the Bible literally, btw.



jackie rokotnitz wrote:
b)I would beware however of saying "all this nonsense" in case you seriously offend those who are

But most religious text is nonsense. I'm talking mainly about the supernatural stuff here, but there are many other aspects. Written and re-written hundreds of years after the events happened; not a shred of tangible evidence left behind; riddled with fairy tales and myths; etc.

How else am I supposed to describe it, other than nonsense? Sorry if these people are "deeply offended" but maybe it's time they woke up and started to view things rationally. I don't see why I should have to "respect" people who think the Earth is less than 6,000 years old, for example - as far as I'm concerned that's delusional.



jackie rokotnitz wrote:
c)I was present at a HUGE debate a couple of weeks ago in Central Hall Westminster of Intelligence Squared (a debating forum)
The motion was "Would we be better off without religion?".
For the motion were: Richard Dawkins, Anthony Grayling and Christopher Hitchens.
Against the motion were: Roger Scruton, Julia Neuberger, Nigel Slater, an impressive line up you will all agree.

The discussion was riveting, each participant being of spectacular intellect. The result was 1000+ people in favour of the motion, 700+ against. 100+ dont know. I tell you this because although a majority agreed that religion is not a good thing, a substantial part of the audience didnt agree. This was a highly educated bunch of some 2000 people listening to six brilliantly articulated points of view...and there was no hard and fast conclusion.

Glad to hear the majority recognized the truth. Religion has caused more wars, misery and suffering than just about anything else in the history of mankind. It's a dangerous and divisive force that controls people, exploits them, halts scientific and technological progress, and actively discourages our understanding of the Universe. Faith - the concept of belief without any evidence - is actually taught as a virtue.



JaneS wrote:
There are, as Jackie says, people who are quite intimidatingly intelligent who are religious. There are, in fact, many, many, many such people.

Maybe they should use that intelligence to think logically and rationally about the world around them. A planet full of delusional people isn't healthy.



JaneS wrote:
It's also worth noting that most academic atheist societies have distanced themselves from Dawkins' work on the grounds that it has no firmer an empirical foundation than theism. Joe Public loves it but, academically speaking, it's been a complete flop.

Sorry, but that's just rubbish. Are we even talking about the same person here?

In any case, surely the opinion of "Joe Public" is more important here. Over the years I've seen hundreds of respected atheist websites, books, newspaper articles, journals, documentaries, etc. and everywhere I look, Dawkins is consistently regarded as the #1 spokesperson for atheists in the world. He's received tons of awards, got people genuinely questioning their beliefs, and got the world talking about atheism like never before. All of his books have become international bestsellers.

The guy is a genius. He completely demolishes the arguments of Christians and explains things so clearly and articulately.



JaneS wrote:
I kind of lost any academic conference in that link in the first post when it started talking about Muslims on Mars and God reattaching severed heads.

The link I provided has a list of excellent questions which demand answers and are perfectly fair, sensible and intelligent. Why shouldn't they be considered "academic" or worthy of answering? You have to admit - it's rather interesting that God never heals amputees, for example...
Monday 9 April 2007 5.57pm
The world's best selling book is still the Bible. Statistics mean little though.

I just think it's a bit dangerous to go around trampling on people's beliefs as if you have proof they're wrong. There is no proof either way. If you're satisfied one way, that's great. But I think the debate example above shows that although the majority of people in that room at that time agree with you, it's far from unanimous. Not much of a majority, really.

The reason that there's so much debate over this is because there is no proof either way. You can't know. You can be very, very sure one way or the other.

God may not heal amputees but there are hundreds of people all over the world who claim to be healed. You will find healing ministries all over London and indeed the world who would be able to give you hundreds of examples of modern day miraculous healings. I don't know details but a quick google throws up many, many results.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion but i do think you should acknowledge that that's all it is (unless of course you have discovered a proof - because at present, there's no such thing). None of us can know.
Monday 9 April 2007 7.56pm
People who believe in life after death will never know if they're wrong.
And people who don't will never know if they're right.
Monday 9 April 2007 9.02pm
What do you think proving God/religion doesn't/shouldn't exist would achieve?
Monday 9 April 2007 9.19pm
As someone who's been around the block a fair few times, a good book I'd recommend is 'Rumours of Another World' by Philip Yancey.

No propaganda, just makes you think.

(and if you're really into hardcore stuff...'What's so Amazing about Grace?' by the same author)
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: