Exchange bureau hidden charges

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 2 May 2007 12.06pm
I travelled to Brussels last week, and I needed a bit of cash to pay for my taxi at arrival. So I innocently got 150euros from the ICE exchange bureau at Waterloo station, paying with my Visa debit card. I have just checked my bank account and they have actually taken another 2% (2.32), without telling me. It does not show anything on their receipt. I think that is a bit rich as they had already taken a 4.50 commission. I have now been told that if I had paid in cash, they would not have charged this additional 2%. In total 6.82 for exchanging 111.00, that is a total 6% charge, what a rip off! I am glad I did not need a larger amount...
Saturday 12 May 2007 7.13pm
Get yourself an account with Nationwide. They make no charge for cash machine/credit card/debit card use abroad. And they do not hike the turn on their exchange rates in return.
Saturday 12 May 2007 10.43pm
Never buy cash with cards - you will always get charged over the odds, and unfortunately this has always been the case. It will be your card issuer charging for the cash, not the exchange agency; this would be why it did not appear in your receipt.
Monday 14 May 2007 10.25am
I have an account with Nationwide, the problem is I never find a cash dispenser accepting their bloody card...So I always have to use my Barclays visa debit card abroad. This time I needed money quickly to get a taxi and I did not have time to look around for a cash dispenser at Brussels station.
What I don't understand is that I have used my card many times before at airports to get currencies (up to 2000) and I was never charged any additional fee.
What I deplore is that they could let people know that an additional fee is applicable when you get currencies on your debit card.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: