knitting Machines

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 5 May 2007 2.33pm
Does anyone know of any good knitting machines? I'd really like to get one of those ones where you can punch a design into a card and it does it all for you, even moving by itself. Am I having false memory syndrome or do these things exist?
Saturday 5 May 2007 4.59pm
Brother ones are supposed to be good, but I don't know enough about them to recommend a model.

There's a post on Whip Up about them, and also loads of info (and links to other info) about them on this blog

The Whip Up article has a link to an article on ebay about what to look for in a knitting machine which might be useful.
Saturday 5 May 2007 5.34pm
thankyou lots.
I've searched a lot today and I still can't find anything on whether or not I'll be able to get a machine that moves by itself.
Tuesday 8 May 2007 3.49pm
Shima Seiki do really clever ones, but I think that they are generally for industrial production and hence quite large and expensive. However, their UK sales people might be able to point you in the right direction.
Tuesday 8 May 2007 5.18pm
I think I'll email them but yes, their machines are huge. It wouldn't fit through the door!
Tuesday 8 May 2007 8.40pm
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a jumper...

If you're not planning on making them on a commercial scale, then why not buy one of the ones that you push manually. It's not that much effort...
Wednesday 9 May 2007 12.08pm
Oh yes, I didn't explain. I'm going in to final year of my degree in September. One of the projects I'm considering is an animation/puppet film with everything knitted, set, characters, props. I have to make several suggestions and the tutors say which one is most likely to cover the marking criteria so it might not happen at all, though I'm keen to make something anyway as a personal project so the manual ones might be ok.
Thursday 10 May 2007 7.45am
Why don't you advertise for a keen home knitter?
Thursday 10 May 2007 11.27am
That's a good idea, Jan. I think I'd need a whole team.
Thursday 10 May 2007 6.18pm
Ask on

This website is fantastic for asking questions or just checking out people's completed projects for tips.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: