Cooker-Fridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 12 May 2007 9.44pm
Is it ok to have your cooker next to your fridge? Does the fridge have to work harder?
Jac
Monday 14 May 2007 9.50am
Not ideal but in some small kitchens its impossible to avoid. As fridges and cookers become better insulated I should think the problem would lessen.
Monday 14 May 2007 1.33pm
Having a fridge right next to a cooker will cause some heat to transfer between the cooker and the fridge (by conduction and radiation)

The problem here is stray heat from your cooker reducing the efficiency of your fridge.

Most modern cookers have a layer of aluminium foil type stuff to keep heat in - and most modern fridges have a foam like layer to keep heat out.

As long as you make sure your appliances are not physically touching and follow the energy saving tips here, you should be OK
Monday 14 May 2007 8.31pm
thanks both of you.
The reason I ask is that there is a slim cupboard presently between the cooker and fridge which is just wide enough to replace with a slimline dishwasher. The thing is, the sink, and therefore plumbing, is on the other side of the cooker, so fitting in the dishwasher next to the sink and moving the cooker over (having removed the slim cupboard) would mean the pipes for the dishwasher wouldn't have to run behind the cooker. Am I making sense? Running from left to right it goes fridge, slim cupboard, cooker, sink. So I'm not sure which way is best.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: