Cutty Sark destroyed by fire

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 21 May 2007 8.33am
Monday 21 May 2007 8.42am
Oh My God! That's terrible.
Monday 21 May 2007 10.39am
It sounds like Brighton West Pier ,who does these things , is it the organisation renovating it.
Hopefully unlike Brighton pier it will still get finished, but with security guards and cc TV its very strange.
And before they start asking the public for donations they have to answer the question who did it.
And why was it allowed to happen.
Monday 21 May 2007 12.37pm
I've merged two threads on this topic.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 21 May 2007 1.30pm
mickysalt wrote:
who does these things , is it the organisation renovating it.
they have to answer the question who did it.
And why was it allowed to happen.

Making groundless accusations when the investigation has yet to be completed is ridiculous. The investigation into 'who did it' - [if indeed there is a 'who'] will be conducted by the police and fire authorities. Let's wait for the outcome of that exercise rather than subjecting everyone to yet another conspiracy theory where there may be none!
Monday 21 May 2007 2.35pm
Well I'm no expert, but from the aerial views on BBC News, the hull looked burnt to a crisp. This is the original hull of an 1869 ship we're talking about. To me, that hull counts as "destroyed". They could rebuild it, but it wouldn't be the same, and it wouldn't be the original.

Having said that, the masts and a few other pieces weren't there at the time, having been removed. So, at least part of it has been rescued. But still, this is a pretty devastating incident. If it indeed turns out to be arson then it's a truly despicable act, and I hope the perpetrator is locked away for life. Burning history in this way is absolutely unforgivable.
Monday 21 May 2007 10.41pm
Apparently all the fittings and a lot of the timbers were in storage,
I was relived to hear that.
Tuesday 22 May 2007 3.31pm
wjfox2004 wrote:
If it indeed turns out to be arson then it's a truly despicable act, and I hope the perpetrator is locked away for life. Burning history in this way is absolutely unforgivable.

Really?

How serious is killing people, in that case?

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: