Help! I need 1971 coinage!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 22 May 2007 1.09pm
Challenge for my fellow forum members!

I am currently working on a project for a London's Transport Museum and need to find a handful of loose coinage as used in 1971 post decimalisation-or not long after that.

There is a budget to purchase these coins which do not have to be mint condition or perhaps in exchange for a a donation to a charity of your choice. So if anyone has an old piggy bank/jam jar with of few of these coins please contact me

I can't use current ones as the design and size has changed-5p 10p and 50p coins have changed in size/metal used for instance and 20ps did not exist until 1982. The old sixpence, which was allowed to continue circulating at 2.5 new pence, then withdrawn at the end of June 1980 so the odd old sixpence would be useful!

Blue plastic wallets containing the new 5p and 10p coins dated 1968, along with 1/2p, 1p and 2p coins dated 1971 were put on sale at the beginning of the change over. These wallets were very common. Anyone got one perhaps? Can't for the life of me find mine unfotunately!

Can any help? Please contact me not the museum-it is closed until October (after major refubishment) of which this project is part and this 'hunt' is my responsibility.

With fingers crossed!

Christianna
Tuesday 22 May 2007 1.46pm
Hi

I remember those blue folding wallets with the first decimal coins inside - have a couple somewhere!

If you are on a budget, your best bet might be eBay - the wallets, complete with coins, seem to go for about 2 a pop...

BSB
Tuesday 22 May 2007 1.54pm
There are a few of the blue wallets on eBay

The stamp collectors shops on The Strand also sell coins.

I've seen coin sets in some tourist shops e.g. around County Hall but not sure if they were current circulation coins or old ones.

Are any of the antique dealers around Bermondsey Square likely to have old coins?
Tuesday 22 May 2007 4.08pm
I seem to have a fair few old 50 pence coins. don't know what they go for, but face value would do me if you wanted them.
Wednesday 23 May 2007 10.08pm
Have you contacted Robert Opie? (of Museum of Brands and packaging up in Notting Hill) He has everything ever known to man!
Monday 27 August 2007 11.50am
Hi Christianna

I have a 1977 50p piece that the post office refused to accept as tender. Didn't realise it was out of date. Can you still use it?
Tuesday 28 August 2007 11.00am
Take it to the bank who will exchange it for you.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: