Cleaning windows

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 23 May 2007 7.46am
I have large living room windows, which I seem to be incapable of cleaning without leaving them smeary. Does anyone have any wise advice about cleaning windows? Apologies for being banal!
Wednesday 23 May 2007 8.12am
Vinegar is supposed to be great for the job - although iv'e never tried it.

I use it to help me polish off a plate of fish and chips.
Wednesday 23 May 2007 10.44am
Water with white/clear (pickling) vinegar in it, rather than neat vinegar I think...most glass cleaners you get in the shops have vinegar in them. Vinegar cleans everything - I regularly use it with cleaning salts to clear the drains and it works brilliantly. It just stinks (and I hate the smell of vinegar).

Also, newspaper is good for cleaning glass - sounds stupid, but it's true. And you definitely don't get newsprint smears.
Wednesday 23 May 2007 11.04am
I recommend that you don't continue to make a mess of your own windows in this way.

Come round and practice your technique on ours first ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 23 May 2007 3.01pm
And when you feel you are ready, you can use my windows for your exam.... I promise I'll be reasonable and will give you a certificate on successfull completion ;o)
Wednesday 23 May 2007 9.30pm
I use Windolene spray or Mr Muscle window cleaning spray, and loads and loads of kitchen roll for mine. The trick is to wipe off the spray as quickly as possible and then rub and rub and rub until they are gleaming. If there are any smears, repeat the whole process.

My special trick is to thread a stocking through the kitchen roll and tie it round my neck so it's easily to hand. Saves repeated bending down... I suppose string would do just as well, but I think the stocking adds a little glamour to the whole affair.
Wednesday 23 May 2007 9.46pm
You see... that is why we love you!
Wednesday 23 May 2007 10.06pm
I know where to get stockings; I know where to get kitchen roll; I know where to get fish and chips .... but where can you get the white/clear vinegar from?
Wednesday 23 May 2007 11.03pm
They sell it in the shop on the corner of Grange Road and TBR, near Barclays. I use it to clean my bathroom (no stockings required for that). Although if you want to get limescale off your taps, you can soak some kitchen roll in vinegar and put the stocking over the tap. If you have two taps you could use tights. Or socks.
Wednesday 23 May 2007 11.54pm
The Lady Miss Jo Jo wrote:
They sell it in the shop on the corner of Grange Road and TBR, near Barclays. I use it to clean my bathroom (no stockings required for that). Although if you want to get limescale off your taps, you can soak some kitchen roll in vinegar and put the stocking over the tap. If you have two taps you could use tights. Or socks.

Obviously what I should have said is soak some kitchen roll in vinegar, put it in the toe of the stocking and put the stocking over the tap.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: