Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 23 May 2007 7.52pm
After 20 years in Kennington, we have today sold our house, and moved to Kent.

The area has changed so much in the last 20 years, mostly for the better, and we are very sad to leave, but it's the right time for us.

I will stay on the FoAP committee until the AGM, but after that will stand down, which I am sure will be welcomed by some, possibly many!

I hope you all, new and old residents, love living in SE1 & SE1(1) as much as I have, and continue to enjoy this site which makes it even more of a community.

With kind regards,

Loafer/Joss
Wednesday 23 May 2007 7.55pm
Good luck in Kent...
Thursday 24 May 2007 6.58am
Good luck Joss...uhmm Kent means apple trees.

'Will there be muffins for tea?' and cider!

What part of Kent?
Thursday 24 May 2007 7.48am
Thanks!

Now there's a thought! We even have an apple tree in our garden...I'll provide the apples if someone else provides the Cider press...

It's near Tunbridge Wells, but renting until we work out where we want to live permanently, or if it was all a huge mistake and we get withdrawl symptoms for SE1(1)!

No muffins as yet, but I'm expecting jam making to commence at any moment!

Joss

Regards,
Friday 25 May 2007 10.15am
Bought a place in Kent a couple of years ago, best decision I ever made. Was looking at the usual suspects out West (i.e. Wiltshire onwards), but didn't like the travel times, the prices or the fairly large percentage of locals who displayed wariness (or open hostility) towards Londoners. Even though the Londoner in question really came from Leicester. People in Kent have been incredibly friendly (maybe due to the close historical ties with London)

We're in the middle of nowhere (ME13 0LA if you want to see it on a map) but that might be a bit of a culture shock despite the good train and road links. As a suggestion have you looked at the area around Tenterden and Biddenden, which is about 15 miles east of T. Wells as the crow flies?
Friday 25 May 2007 10.57am
Cider is made at Biddenden (it's a nice day trip, and the cider is above average, although it's only made from eating and cooking apples, and so it doesn't have the depth of taste that you'll find in a good Herefordshire cider).

And there's the lovely gardens at nearby Sissinghurst.

In fact we should get a charabanc and go out to see Loafer. Hop picking anyone?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 25 May 2007 11.37am
And just south of Tenterden is Chapel Down. I'm much more into red wine than white, but I really like their gear.
Friday 25 May 2007 1.22pm
Cheers for that link to Chapel Down. I can see that making a very nice day trip.

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 26 May 2007 10.52am
hi

(occasional poster)

re hitchhikers guide ....
the movie is on google video..
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3597356278126191550&q=hitchhikers+guide
the end looks very much like a pt1....heres hoping
(in the meantime theres the new St Trinians)

FYI
global warming and the same chalky soil has shifted the best place to grow the grapes that make Champagne from France to S England
http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,2763,1495767,00.html

so if youre a gardener and youre moving to Kent you might want to try your hand at a home business :)

so it goes
Tuesday 29 May 2007 6.17pm
Thanks for the suggestions - I heading to Lewes tomorrow, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for cider!

We are trying just west of TW - I love the countryside, and the commute is very civilised from Hildenborough.

We drove down to Camber Sands for the day with the kids today, and there were some lovely areas around Frant and Hawkhurst.

Perhaps I'll give up the City and start a small business by the coast...Cider & Champagne making, like Mick4Recycle says...! You'll be glad to hear that Freecycle is just as active down here, BTW!

Regards,

Loafer

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: