Gas organ sonic art installation in Peckham

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 7 June 2007 3.54pm
Title: Gas Organ exhibition
Venue: The Sassoon Gallery
Date: 16th - 18th July
Time: Midday - 9pm
Cost: Free

I'm organising this art installation in Peckham in July which will hopefully be of interest to SE1 readers. It's free entry. The gallery is just underneath Peckham Rye BR station.

On three sultry nights in July, the sepulchral vault of Peckham's underground venue The Sassoon Gallery will reverberate to the eerily melancholic strains of the infamous Gas Organ. The Gas Organ is a fabulous musical instrument, able to play itself, or be controlled or played remotely.

Constructed from freely available plumbing, electrical and laboratory components, the Gas Organ is a fusion of Art, Science and Engineering, beautiful in its clinical appearance and mesmerising in its auditory effect. Witnesses of the event have their credulity challenged as they view the ephemeral chaotic turbulence of a flame producing such incredible range and depth of sound; how can a science lab experiment evoke such an emotional response as this? I am watching this, but I don't believe it.

We're looking for any journalists from the local press who would be interested in writing about this exhibition. Please contact me for more information:

I hope to see you there!
Thursday 7 June 2007 4.16pm
I think it would help if you gave a few more adjectives in your write up.

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: