'Walkie-talkie' tower approved

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 10 July 2007 7.09pm
Not in SE1, but it'll be highly visible from riverside parts of our 'hood.

Quelle horreur.

That is all.
Tuesday 10 July 2007 10.52pm
Ugh. It just looks daft, if the renderings are anything to go by (which they probably are).
Tuesday 10 July 2007 11.36pm
another grim blot on the landscape....sigh!
Wednesday 11 July 2007 12.20am
Definitely not the best design (nothing could be as good as The Shard), but the Sky Garden sounds like a cool idea:

"The 36-storey building will incorporate premium offices, shops, cafes and a publicly-accessible "Sky Garden" that will offer 360 degree views across London."
Wednesday 11 July 2007 6.30am
I'm not too keen on that one either. Can't we leave zany-looking skyscrapers to Dubai?

Some of the responses on the SkyscraperCity forum are amusing: "It just looks like it's been left too close to the radiator and has melted slightly" and like it's "sulking on its own after having been bullied by the group of bigger kids behind."
Wednesday 11 July 2007 10.10am
It looks like a Mummy Case..should be called the Mummys Revenge! mind you it's not ugly, I quite like it.
Wednesday 11 July 2007 12.32pm
I've gone from hating this tower to having a mild dislike for it. It does have some positive aspects to its design. The colour, cladding and texture is nice and I like how those lines reach up to the roof in this rendering -

I think the sky gardens look even better than the viewing gallery in LBT. I do hope they retain this feature. From street level I think it will look great. The base is nice, and based on the recent promo video its shape seems more "normal" and less wacky when you're viewing it from below.

It will be somewhat overbearing from the south, and from Waterloo Bridge will seem rather isolated, but it should be joined by other neighbouring towers in time.

By far the most important thing here is that developers will be given more confidence by the result of this public inquiry and we'll undoubtedly see more proposals in the area. There was a genuinely serious threat of having a blanket ban for this entire part of the City, or at least having developers scared away from building tall near the river - which would have resulted in a load of bulky, unexciting stumps. This is no longer the case. :)
Wednesday 14 May 2008 11.02pm
It may now be delayed:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: