Borris Johnson for Mayor!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 14 July 2007 5.13pm
Spiffing, what?
Saturday 14 July 2007 5.42pm
What's his stance on highrise development? :)
Saturday 14 July 2007 6.06pm
Er, well, crikey, you know - *falls off bicycle* - I think it can be, er, jolly good, no?

He's got my vote.
Saturday 14 July 2007 6.15pm
carmenes82 wrote:
He's got my vote.

Honestly?!

Do you think he has it what it takes to manage and take-forward this chaotic, madly diverse city?

From the evidence I've seen so far I wouldn't have thought so but would love to be proved wrong!
Saturday 14 July 2007 8.33pm
It's hard to know whether he has the capability to run a major international city like London, but I'd judge him on his writing in the Spectator (and other publications), which are articulate and well informed, rather than his occasional gaffs and overly public school demeanour. I think it's really important that people are engaged with the political system and having colourful characters like Borris in it provoke a response and get people out to the ballot boxes. My honest answer, is that I'll wait and see what his policies are, what Ken says, etc., but I'd certainly give him the benefit of the doubt as a candidate at this point. In California, Arnie has been doing a great job and everybody thought he was a bit of a joke to start with...in reality the weight of his personality is a catalyst for getting things done.
Saturday 14 July 2007 9.49pm
carmenes82 wrote:
It's hard to know whether he has the capability to run a major international city like London, but I'd judge him on his writing in the Spectator (and other publications), which are articulate and well informed, rather than his occasional gaffs and overly public school demeanour. I think it's really important that people are engaged with the political system and having colourful characters like Borris in it provoke a response and get people out to the ballot boxes. My honest answer, is that I'll wait and see what his policies are, what Ken says, etc., but I'd certainly give him the benefit of the doubt as a candidate at this point. In California, Arnie has been doing a great job and everybody thought he was a bit of a joke to start with...in reality the weight of his personality is a catalyst for getting things done.

Thanks for your decent answer; I certainly agree that the engagement of more people in the political system can only be a good thing. But although he is undoubtedly intelligent and articulate in some forums I do think think his bumbling persona will count against him if he's expected to to be the main diplomat/face of London on the international stage.
Sunday 15 July 2007 11.16am
>>I do think think his bumbling persona will count against him if he's expected to to be the main diplomat/face of London on the international stage

What tosh! He is Mayor of London, not London's Ambassador to the UN, what's the relevance of the 'international stage'! His job would be to keep the tubes running. My pet rats (that used to come out of the sewers and join me for supper sometimes) could do a better job than Ken.
Sunday 15 July 2007 6.19pm
The Mapmaker wrote:
>>I do think think his bumbling persona will count against him if he's expected to to be the main diplomat/face of London on the international stage
What tosh! He is Mayor of London, not London's Ambassador to the UN, what's the relevance of the 'international stage'! His job would be to keep the tubes running. My pet rats (that used to come out of the sewers and join me for supper sometimes) could do a better job than Ken.

The Mayor is the elected representative for London and so represents the city. You can read about the Mayor's responsibilities at london.gov.uk. London doesn't have a "UN representative" and never has done!

The current incumbent used his oleaginous charms to woo global big-wigs in bringing the Olympics to London, set up the Large Cities Climate Leadership Group, and promotes London on a global stage to promote economic development - the Mayor needs to push London ahead of its international competitors. His reaction to 7/7 and the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes were seen around the world.

The Mayor of London does need to be an internationl diplomat, because London is an international city.
Sunday 15 July 2007 11.11pm
Boris Johnson is spectacularly ill qualified to be Mayor of London - a boorish, insensitive creature of privilege with an amazing gift for massive PR gaffes, like accusing Liverpudlians of "vicarious victimhood" and describing Portsmouth as a place "full of drugs, obesity, underachievement and Labour MPs". Apart from his riding a bike, I can't think of much that makes him a good Londoner. The man is a tit.
Monday 16 July 2007 9.06am
Alas, Boris has an unfortunate tendency to attract all the wrong publicity. We cant have another (let's not forget Ken's bloomers) accident prone Mayor who embarrasses himself on a regular basis. But..that said....who IS there. And I heard Matthew Parris a few days on the radio saying Ken's unstoppable..
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: