Afternoon teas

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 17 July 2007 10.11am
Hi I am in need of some help

My Nan and her sister are coming to visiti this weekend and are going to the theatre on Saturday afternoon

I want to take them somewhere special for some afternoon tea etc either before or after the performance 2:30 to 5:00 Saturday at the Palladium

I've looked at the websites of the main hotels, dorchester, ritz etc and it seems that the only do full english teas with sandwiches, cakes etc and as they are both in their 80's and have little appetites I think they only want a nice cuppa and maybe a scone, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm a bit lost when it comes to high society and hobnobbing

ta
Tuesday 17 July 2007 10.36am
In spite of the limited appetite of your grandparents, I recommend the pre-theatre tea in The Savoy.
They serve tea with lots of wonderful savory dishes as well as scones and cakes. It's served slightly later than the normal Afternoon Tea, until about 18h45. You won't have to have supper after the theatre. See the website:

http://www.fairmont.com/savoy/GuestServices/Restaurants/TheatreTeainTheThamesFoyer.htm
Tuesday 17 July 2007 1.15pm
hey Maurits hows it going

I thought about the Savoy pre-theatre but my nan and her sister are not that adventurous I have a feeling if faced with Confit rutabaga sweet and sour, carrot and toasted onion foam they wouldn't know whether to eat it, wash their faces or clean the loo with it!

if all else fails though I might give it a try.

thanks
Tuesday 17 July 2007 2.39pm
I am a fan of the afternoon teas served in the Conservatory at the Lanesborough in Knightsbridge.
Tuesday 17 July 2007 3.10pm
In that case I have another suggestion: the top floor restaurant in Peter Jones on Sloane Square. This is a very nicely designed self service restaurant, great cakes, scones etc The views over London are magnificent. This is a great afternoon venue, unpretentious, inexpensive yet very worldly.
Tuesday 17 July 2007 3.22pm
The Lanesborough is my number one tip, too. But it is pricey - I think 28 a head the last time I went, and 35 if you want strawberries and champagne. The tea selection is superb, though, and it's fairly unstuffy. But you will need to book!
Tuesday 17 July 2007 7.15pm
How about the Portrait Restaurant at the top of the National Portrait Gallery - a much smaller afternoon tea than you'd face at the Savoy / Ritz etc and a fab view high up over Trafalgar Square?
Wednesday 18 July 2007 7.01am
Birdie I never knew they had a restaurant there, brilliant..I then followed your link and they even have lifts!
Wednesday 18 July 2007 9.50am
It's a great little find, Jan, I don't think too many people have worked out that it is there as it's never crowded!
Wednesday 18 July 2007 12.26pm
Forgot about Peter Jones - do they still do their Welsh Rarebit? The new restaurant in John Lewis Oxford Street is also good (I think it is the 4th floor NOT the Place to Eat on the top floor!). I didn't know about the Portrait Resaturant - might have to give it a go just for the view. If you check out the view on the link it was taken before the Eye went up!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: