Halogen Light Bulbs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 5 September 2007 9.56am
I am having imense trouble trying to change the halogen light bulbs in my flat. They are ceiling downlights and trying to remove the bulbs is proving to be impossible. They are the type with two prongs and not twist and turn (I'm sure there is some technical description here but that is beyond me!).

I can't seem to get a good enough grip to pull one out. I tried using suction cup to give the bulb a good yank and that threatened to remove the whole light fitting tearing the ceiling plaster board.

Totally frustrating as every bulb has now blown in my front room. Any advice would be welcome before I consider employing a handyman to complete the task (can't even believe I am considering paying someone to change light bulbs)...
Wednesday 5 September 2007 10.24am
If it's this sort ... http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/n54bn_out-of-box.jpg ... then you still have to turn them antoclockwise to get them out. Try pushing in, and turning a little.
Wednesday 5 September 2007 10.36am
They tend to be held in place with a clip which you have to remove first. A bit like a curbygrip (sp?), but round.

Once the clip is removed, the bulb drops down, and has to be twisted with respect to its holder.

Good luck...
Wednesday 5 September 2007 10.37am
I had that sort in my old flat. These fittings use this type http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/qh99h.jpg where you just need to pull straight out apparently. They also have a nasty sharp edge that sliced my fingers to shreds.
Wednesday 5 September 2007 10.38am
I have the bulbs with two prongs. My downlighters have a little catch on them that you have to release, and then the whole bulb and the cover come out of the fitting. Then, you have to unscrew two little screws that keep the bulb in place.

Hmmm, it doesn't sound as if yours are the same, unless there is a little catch you have missed (the catch really is very small).
Wednesday 5 September 2007 10.39am
Just seen the pic you posted - those are the ones I have, and I have to unscrew the little screws holding the prongs in place.
Wednesday 5 September 2007 10.47am
Thank you. I will have a look for the clip tonight. Actually not tonight as I'm off to the pub later and I don't think I should be balancing on a stool half cut...

I will let you all know my success (or lack of).
Wednesday 12 September 2007 10.09pm
OK, I am conceding defeat. No clip to be seen. I have even broken one of the bulbs in half trying to get it out leaving a jagged hard of glass in the fitting and I still can't get it out. I think calling out a handyman beckons unless someone else has any othe suggestion... lighting the room the by candlelight perhaps...
Friday 14 September 2007 11.39am
We have those ones I think. I got them out of the ceiling just by pushing the bulb up. They then fell out of the recess and hung there on their wires. Detaching the bulb from the wires was easy, but I had to get our landlord to send someone round to put a new bulb in, because for some reason it didn't work when I tried. You're also supposed to turn off the electricity when you change the bulbs, as it's a live wire I think.
Monday 8 October 2007 12.41pm
If the bulbs are poor quality, no-name brands (usually cheap Chinese copies of another manufacturer's design) or if low-voltage you have a faulty transformer, then sometimes the heat generated can cause the bulbs to fuse into the sockets so the whole fitting can need replacing. This is a rare occurance but not unknown. Also beware that cheap halogen bulbs - especially the mains voltage ones - sometimes fail in a spectacular way. Not just a pop but an explosion! So beware...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: