laptop usa style

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 8 October 2007 12.07pm
hello, am going to san francisco over xmas, and thinking of buying a laptop there, for use back here.

anyone done this? tips, advice, words of wisdom?

thanks
Monday 8 October 2007 12.43pm
Make sure the power adaptor is dual voltage (they usually are) otherwise you'll have to splash out on a 240v one.
Monday 8 October 2007 2.20pm
May be a false economy - you won't get a valid g'tee with it and it's a hell of a long way to take it back.......also, isn't there a risk you may have to pay duty if UK customs query where it was purchased?
Monday 8 October 2007 8.41pm
A few things to consider:

1) UK and US keyboards have different layouts. Hunting around for the double quote key can be a pain and the Euro symbol is missing. Assuming your new lappy comes with Vista - you will be able to change the keyboard mappings, but will have to press # to get , etc.

2) If the lappy comes pre-loaded with Office type software, the spell checkers, thesaurus, etc. will all be American (color, tire, specialize, etc.), although you can change these.

3) The Operating System settings will all be American - e.g. the currency symbol will be $, the date will be Month/Day/Year, again you can change these settings.

4) Any pre-installed software will require you to register to receive service - if you try and register from a UK address, the warranty may not be honoured.

the list goes on

If it was my money, I would not bother - just my opinion.
Monday 15 October 2007 7.23am
thanks to all who offered their advice.
Tuesday 16 October 2007 8.15pm
As far as I know a laptop normally has an international warranty ... cos they are portable.

My UK supplied Apple macbook pro has a UK setting but Word for Mac is basically US English.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: