Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 18 October 2007 12.31pm
Slightly random question, but you're all always so helpful I thought I'd try. Does anyone know where I could buy buttermilk, in SE1 or even beyond. I've tried most places I can think of to no avail but I really want to be able to make some Irish soda bread and anything other than buttermilk just won't do. In Ireland you can buy gallons of the stuff in the supermarket but it doesn't seem to have made its way over here!
Thursday 18 October 2007 1.53pm
Have you tried Baldwins in walworth road? i think they do goats milk soy milk etc., they may do buttermilk too.
Thursday 18 October 2007 5.30pm
They sell it in Tesco - all but the smallest branches.
Thursday 18 October 2007 9.12pm
Waitrose sell it to, I buy it to make muffins
Thursday 18 October 2007 9.44pm
My mum just lets some milk go sour when she hasn't got any buttermilk. Tastes equally delicious.
Friday 19 October 2007 10.21am
Thank you, I'll try Waitrose and maybe start looking a bit closer in tesco. I'm not sure I should risk letting the milk go sour - I'm not known for my culinary skills and I wouldn't want to risk poisoning anyone at the first attempt!
Friday 19 October 2007 10.25am
Scooter - how about the muffin recipe? Care to share?
Friday 19 October 2007 10.25am
Yes, Waitrose sell it. If you are baking with it you can substitute live yoghurt or "coddle" some milk by adding either white vinegar or some lemon juice.
Friday 19 October 2007 5.24pm
Buttermilk is a problem in England.

Tesco and Waitrose only sell 250 ml and of inferior quality. The halal butcher on TBR, next door to Kardo's, do sell it in liter packages and they get it in Belgium. I have always found it strange that the fancy dairy shop in Borough Market doesn't have it and have requested it on numerous occasions, to no avail.

I love buttermilk (lait battu or karnemelk) and on the continent widely consumed as a drink and not only to cook with. It comes in many different qualities and the thicker the better, although milky enough for it not to be yoghurt. It is delicious when blended with strawberries or peaches.
Saturday 20 October 2007 4.56pm
Neils Yard, I meant.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: