Singles

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 20 October 2007 6.29pm
No not those plastic discs with one song on each side....but more about music below....

I'm researching the "single life" of people who are unattached and who live on their own.
Are you single ? (includes divorced, separated, widowed, flat-sharers and as well as never married and those not currently living within a long term relationship)

Do you enjoy the single life ?
Are you happy that way ?
Or do you hope that it's only temporary ?

If you aren't single, what about your single friends ?
Do they seem happy ?
Or are they (secretly?)desperately searching ?
Or just jogging along ?

-----------
Popular culture overwhelmingly gives out the message that to be single or "alone" is a very sad and sorry state. Today I have listened to 18 songs which adress in some way, being single and / or the state of aloneness. Of those only 2 are positive:
Natasha Bedingfield - Single
Offer Nissim feat. Maya - (Better off) Alone
and I haven't got a clue what
GORILLAZ - ALL ALONE
is all about....

Anyone know any other songs which treat this subject positively ?

Thanks
Pete
Sunday 21 October 2007 9.59pm
?I will survive?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 22 October 2007 12.48pm
write one? :->
Monday 22 October 2007 3.26pm
OMG I got so sick of "I will survive..." in the early 80's and then again in the 90's. It just wouldn't seem to go away. I would groan when it came on and by the middle I was jigging and mumbling along. I hated myself for that as it totally destroyed my lovingly cultivated, smoldering drop-dead cool look at the bars and clubs back then.
But yes it is an immensely optimistic and liberating anthem with some of the best lyrics ever.... which are mainly about the break up of a relationship... and relate very much more to a woman's side of things IMHO. ...As to living alone it's not so positive .... unless living alone is just about survival ????

Write my own ? Gee thanks...
OK, as a challenge to creativity, thank you but I am still trying to work out my own feelings about living alone after many years tucked up in cosy dysfunctional relationships. ....hence the project...but I'll ponder on't.
Pete
Monday 22 October 2007 4.20pm
?Wherever I lay my hat?

Monday 22 October 2007 4.30pm
young hearts run free
Monday 22 October 2007 5.07pm
The inimitable Wham!'s "Young Guns" ("Death by matrimony") has got to be a song for your research.

[Now I'm worried at how many of the words I can remember]

Monday 22 October 2007 7.05pm
Alone Again (Naturally) Gilbert O'Sullivan
Tuesday 23 October 2007 12.22pm
Wherever I lay my hat?
This takes me back. I remember the Marvin Gaye original !!! (I was a kid, OK!) It's actually about an unapologetic homeless and heartless romeo if you think about it.

young hearts run free
Sounded promising but this is how the lyrics start....
"What's the sense in sharing this one and only life
Ending up, just another lost and lonely wife"
What I'm learning here is that many songs aren't what you think they are about.... Mostly people only remember the chorus.

Young Guns
Is certainly positive but while the message "Wise guys realize there's danger in emotional ties" may have been ok in 1983(?),is it right for the 21st century ? Am I taking a pop song too seriously ? Maybe, but these are the messages we have put up with for the sake of a catchy tune.

Alone Again (Naturally)
Yep this was on my original list and marked as negative. The lyrics are about being jilted at the alter and thoughts of committing suicide !!!! Even the chorus is an expression of inevitable resignation to a state of aloneness.

Now where's that rope .....
Now I've found one ...an ancient one
Downtown ..originally by Petula Clarke
Pete
Wednesday 24 October 2007 12.19pm
Vetro wrote:
Wherever I lay my hat?
This takes me back. I remember the Marvin Gaye original !!! (I was a kid, OK!) It's actually about an unapologetic homeless and heartless romeo if you think about it.

young hearts run free
Sounded promising but this is how the lyrics start....
"What's the sense in sharing this one and only life
Ending up, just another lost and lonely wife"

Surely thats a postive vote to be single or rather an anti marriage/partnership vote.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: