Making a christmas pudding

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 29 October 2007 3.36pm
We have decided to have a go at making our own plum pudding this year. We now need the silver that gets stirred in: thimble, coin, wishbone etc. Any ideas were to buy those? Also, what other objects go in?
Monday 29 October 2007 5.30pm
None, you'll be sued when your diners break a tooth! seriously I nearly choked once from a silver threepence stuck in the pudding by a well meaning relative..:-)
Monday 29 October 2007 6.57pm
Hmmm, didn't think of that. Just thought the pudding is such a charming English custom. We'll have my family over from Germany and wanted to treat them to a traditional English Christmas. Stockings, plum pudding, rain, the lot.

Are you quite sure said relative was well meaning, could have been a plot :-)
Monday 29 October 2007 7.13pm
your probably right Katia, she never forgot i would not let her have a go of the swing! perhaps it's just me being over cautious..:-)
Tuesday 30 October 2007 12.58pm
Put a large key in, and then it won't be eaten by accident. A sixpence is far too small and dangerous!
Tuesday 30 October 2007 4.58pm
You probably should have started making it months ago shouldn't you? They're meant to sit in a pudding basin, being doused with brandy, for about 6 months or something. The money also has to be wrapped in greaseproof paper I think, otherwise it probably tarnishes and makes the pudding taste of copper coins (i.e. gross).
Tuesday 30 October 2007 6.33pm
Thanks, wrapping things might be good unless I find a big silver coin/key or other object. I've heard you make the pudding on Stirr-up Sunday which is the last Sunday in November ...nothing sweet could ever survive 6 month in my cupboard, I am far too greedy.
Tuesday 30 October 2007 7.09pm
Actually, more like 6 minutes.
Wednesday 31 October 2007 10.37am
Stir up Sunday is the last Sunday before Advent - so the fifth Sunday before Christmas - so not always the last Sunday in November.

It is so called because of the collect in the Book of Common prayer, which begins 'Stir up we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people...' and has nothing to do with cooking at all.

This always amuses choir boys called William!
Wednesday 31 October 2007 5.41pm
Interesting. Not familiar with Anglican feasts. Is that the equivalent of the Feast of Christ the King Catholics celebrate that day?

It is still the day to prepare Christmas pudding according to the BBC:

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/news_and_events/events_stirupsunday.shtml][/url]
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: