Save the Poor.org

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 2 November 2007 3.53pm
This American wants to know some info that I'm hoping one of your Brits could help me with.

I've been considering dealing with an organization called Save the Poor (www.savethepoor.org

The problem that I have is that there apparently are no details or articles about them on any other websites that I've checked in reference to Save the Poor, which they claim is located at 64 Newman Street in London. From their site:

Phone numbers: +44 70457 30586,
+44 70457 06173

Fax Numbers: +447075700316

Contact Address: 64 Newman Street
London
W1T 3EF
United Kingdom

Their founder Steve Lewis is way too common a name to check in a Google search.

Could someone living in or close to that location check out that office building to see if they are actually there? For a fund-raising company that claims to have been around since 1990, it's amazing to me that there is no information on them.

Thanks!
Friday 2 November 2007 4.28pm
They've got a website, and they seem to give money to a homeless shelter in New Jersey. They aren't something I've ever heard of before, but apparently they're a fundraising consultancy. The address is where the Travel Channel is based, and some kind of satellite media company.
Friday 2 November 2007 4.50pm
Yes, I know about the Travel Channel and a satellite company being located there from my Google search. How close are you to 64 Newman to go investigate for me?

I just need to know as a fact if they are located there.
Friday 2 November 2007 5.13pm
W1 is quite a way from SE1. The business isn't listed under the Royal Mail database, which most reputable businesses would normally be.

Also, a DNS lookup of the WHOIS information for http://savethepoor.org shows that is a Nigerian registered site (Lagos and with a Yahoo email address).

See here - so doesn't look too good for being a legitimate business.
Friday 2 November 2007 5.17pm
You should also compare the registrant details for the Save the Poor website with this registration for a fake bank:

http://db.aa419.org/fakebanksview.php?key=12603

Looks rather familiar.

HTH
Friday 2 November 2007 8.51pm
[quote Executive]
From their site: Contact Address: 64 Newman Street
London
W1T 3EF
United Kingdom/quote]

If, they are a registered UK charity, check them on http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/ if not they should have a freely available registered address elsewhere.
Saturday 3 November 2007 4.03am
Registering in Nigeria does raise a question of legitimacy, but isn't it possible that they may have done that to save money on the cost of a UK domain? The Internet is international and nobody is limited to dealing with domain hosts in the same country in which they reside.

It still bothers me that they aren't listed on any business or government websites though. Fortunately, I have no money at risk and I may still profit from dealing with them. Let's just say that I will proceed with extreme caution early on....
Saturday 3 November 2007 6.40am
They claim to be one of the UK's leading charity organisations, yet they are not registered with the Charity Commission, nor are they listed at Companies House. A bona fide UK charity should be registered with both.
Saturday 3 November 2007 8.21am
The phone numbers also strike me as a little odd. They appear to be mobile numbers - wouldn't charities provide landlines for people to contact them on?
Saturday 3 November 2007 9.58am
Guys, that's a Nigerian charity scam. Stay away. Don't send any money. It will never reach "the poor", only the pockets of a scumbag that's too lazy and to make a living through honest work and prefers to take a bite of the charity cake not caring about the needy who he's pretending to represent.
If you are willing to donate money to a charity, ALWAYS give the money to a registered charity. There are tons.

The numbers on the "charity site", btw, are free world wide redirection numbers from Open Telecom International, btw. So while the caller thinks they are actually calling the UK, they are speaking to some mugu in Nigeria.
I quote Open Telecom:
Open Telecom International wrote:
Are you a non-UK resident? Have a UK Virtual Phone Number redirected to your international phone line with absolutely NO cost to you. This is the perfect solution for any business or individual looking to have a UK presence. Find out more...

Regards
AA419
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: