pensioners christmas box

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 5 December 2007 3.00pm
Can anyone tell me when the 10 christmas box given by the government ( aka taxpayers!) started?
Wednesday 5 December 2007 4.46pm
Jan - this is in the public records from 1998:

Christmas Bonus for Pensioners

Lord Randall of St. Budeaux asked Her Majesty's Government:

In what year the 10 Christmas bonus for pensioners was instituted; and what would be its value now if it had been index-linked.[HL 1898]

Baroness Hollis of Heigham: The Christmas bonus was first paid in December 1972 at the rate of 10. If it had been increased in line with prices, it would be 70.80 at Christmas 1998.
Friday 7 December 2007 9.12am
Thank you Birdie..:-)

thats five bottles of Magnum Cider!
Monday 10 December 2007 11.29pm
Nowadays we have a generous winter fuel allowance,which more than compensates for the loss of the Christmas bonus : $200 for a single person,or $100 each per married couple.I've just received my very first payment which excited me greatly until I had a billet doux from Southwark Council to tell me that I was 97 in arrears with my rent.Easy come,easy go!
Tuesday 11 December 2007 12.09pm
I phoned the Taxman Barb to complain about the tax code I had received. He really really cheered me up by saying that my allowance would increase once I reached 65! When I work full time as agency temp. I pay more tax in one week, than I earnt in my first year at work!
So the heating allowance is very welcome as i consider it a re-circulation of funds!
Tuesday 11 December 2007 7.12pm
This sort of conversation really makes you feel old,doesn't it ? I have had to return to work part-time and have an occupational pension and therefore I have just a little too much income to enable me to enjoy any state benefits.Thank goodness for this wonderful invention of the internet for entertainment.Do you watch all the old music clips on YouTube ?
Wednesday 12 December 2007 8.18am
I am in the same position as you Barb, and the annoying thing is various people keep telling me that if I pack up work, I will get housing/council tax benefit as I am a pensioner, unfortunately this is not so!

I have found a great site entitled to co.uk and it very informative it states quite clearly what you can claim..in my case...not a lot to justify me stopping working!
I have not seen the youtube clips of old music, which ones do you recommend?
Wednesday 12 December 2007 7.39pm
Hi,Jan...you're obviously not old to my husband and me!He actually became a pensioner officially today so it's been fizzy drinks and chocolate cake all round.Two old dears.The music we seem to gravitate towards is Al Bowlly (we like "Please don't mention it" with Anona Winn which is strangely catchy),all the rock 'n' roll favourites,60's music particularly and one recent one that I've got others on to is really funny,just put in YouTube Spanish Love Song.It's some poor man trying to impress a bored young senorita by singing a love song in Spanish after just one semester of learning the language and comes out with such romantic phrases as "my mother is beautiful" and "I have a white cat" and "me llamo Mike".You'll love it.Have hours of fun !
Thursday 13 December 2007 1.17pm
Tried to get on it from work Barb, but access was barred, will do it at home...miserable old employers not letting their old dear access such a site like YouTube...still can't moan at least I can access here!
Thursday 13 December 2007 2.17pm
Rotten lot,Jan..they ought to be encouraging you to keep your morale up.Just who do they think they are employing ?An automaton ?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: