Fallen tree

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 18 December 2007 11.20am
I planted a silver birch in my garden last year which grew spectacularly over the summer. Unfortunately, due to the way it was tied up (not my fault), the trunk was weakened and it snapped in half. Does anybody know what the chances of the tree surviving are? Should I dig it out and replant? I am reluctant too as the trunk is well established and it looked otherwise healthy (the leaves stayed on until only a few weeks ago).

Thanks for any help.

Chris
Tuesday 18 December 2007 11.29am
I'm really sorry to hear about your tree.

http://www.020.co.uk/t/tree-surgeons/london.shtml has a list of local tree surgeons, including this one http://www.treestar.co.uk/index.php in SE1.

No connections with any of them, but maybe one of them can help diagnose your problem.

If the worst comes to the worst and the tree has to go, is there any chance that I can nick a couple of logs from it to grow mushrooms on? Hope that's not too cheeky.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 18 December 2007 11.40am
Thanks Ivanhoe.

It's not well established enough to make logs - more like twigs (!) - but I'll keep it in mind in future as we may pull out one of the existing trees.

I'm just hoping that the tree is resistant enough to grow a new 'leader' branch and resume growing like billy-o next year. Was really sad when it snapped!

Chris
Tuesday 18 December 2007 1.02pm
it'll still grow..even if you dont seal it after, if you can saw a sloping edge on the trunk... Ivanhoe did you get a mushroom kit?
I was going to try posh mushrooms in the kits that grow on toilet paper. I wonder if they would grow on a old trestle type table?
Tuesday 18 December 2007 1.17pm
Jan, I've got little dowels that are supposed to be impregnated with mushroom spores. Just need a couple of hardwood logs to drill and put the dowels into.

I did find the address of the place where Sthk Council leave their logs, but haven't had time to go over there and "root" a couple out.

In fact, carmenes, if you call the council, and ask for "the tree chopping people" they might be able to help with your problem (might give you a number of someone to talk to at your contractors. Maybe with a picture of your tree and a phone call, someone might be able to give you a prognisis (?sp?)

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 18 December 2007 3.10pm
Silver Birch are supposed to be good for coppicing, which involves cutting them right back [probably even lower than the break on yours] to get a cluster of small stems growing from a low base, rather than a single trunk. Good if you don't want it to grow too high, and want more cover at a low level. So, it seems unlikey that you've killed it off but have accidently started the coppicing process.
Tuesday 18 December 2007 3.19pm
I agree, I had a silver birch and it survived any amount of hacking and breaking. Dispair not!
Tuesday 18 December 2007 4.49pm
Fab - thanks everybody.
Tuesday 18 December 2007 7.03pm
Ivanhoe, what diameter do the logs have to be? I'll have a look down the back..i got drunk last months imbibed a lot of whisky and burnt some wood...
Wednesday 19 December 2007 9.51am
Jan the old one wrote:
I'll have a look down the back..i got drunk last months imbibed a lot of whisky and burnt some wood...

Have a look down the back of what - the sofa?

Jan, it does read as if that bottle of whisky is having a lasting effect......and turning you into a pyromaniac
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: