Energy Saving Light Bulbs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 2 February 2008 10.14am
Bought one of the new version in ASDA last week for 2-96. The new ones are smaller, light up faster and no flicker.
In Sainsburys BHS just now they have the identical PHILIPS bulbs at 3 for a pound on offer by the paper stand. As they're so good I bought 6 for 2. Probably last the rest of my life.
Saturday 2 February 2008 10.37am
I get mine at Robert Dyas - they work out at 99p each. They have a vast array of sizes, shapes, colours and wattages.

Only thing to remember is the disposal of these things. They contain a small amount of mercury, which is toxic. James posted some helpful disposal details on this thread.

Of course, that begs the question "what happens if I drop one and it breaks"...

Some good advice here.
Saturday 2 February 2008 10.47am
On the box it says they last 8 years so plenty of time to plan safe disposal.
According to your link Boss St Bloke they only contain 'Up to 5 milligrams', so not as much as in a bowler hat I imagine!
Just read the rest:
Their advice for cleaning up a broken bulb:
Vacate the room and ventilate it for at least 15 minutes. Do not use a vacuum cleaner, but clean up using rubber gloves and aim to avoid creating and inhaling airborne dust.
Blimey! better take it seriously.
Tuesday 5 February 2008 4.29pm
Tesco do a good range of energy saving bulbs, but I've yet to find any that you can use in a dimmer switch...
Tuesday 5 February 2008 5.01pm
I don't think any of them work in dimmer switches....
Thursday 14 February 2008 3.18pm
33p each at the moment in John Lewis (I work in their lighting buying office).

Dimmable ones do exist but they're really not very good; the technology isn't refined enough yet.

The next best alternative at the moment are Philips Edore bulbs which give light output equivalent to double their wattage, so a 20 watt Edore bulb will give the same amount of light as a 40 watt conventional one. These are a type of halogen bulb but in the shape of a regular bulb so also come in clear and have none of the disadvantages of flourescent lighting.

These will work with dimmer switches, but we've discovered that they do not work in touch lamps: you can touch up to maximum brightness and then the lamp won't turn off. On a couple of ones we've tested the lamp is then permanently stuck on, or won't switch on at all.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network