Last weeks of pregnancy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Saturday 9 February 2008 10.58am
I am in the 38th week of pregnancy (first one). Here is a question for all those ladies who've been there: did you wake up with extremely swollen hands and feet? I've got bear paws every morning, very painful.

The books suggest resting the hands on pillows at night, but since I can't tape them onto pillows they never stay there. Anything else I can do?
Sunday 10 February 2008 7.50pm
Get yer feet up! Literally. As ungainly as it may sound, (you're probably already propped up on cushions to get a decent night's sleep,) get your feet on some highish pillows/cushions. I also recall spraying hands and feet with witch hazel, which was very soothing, but as always check with your midwife/GP first...
Sunday 10 February 2008 9.22pm
Yes..on third pregnancy and it happened on my first two. My feet got larger by 1/2 shoe size. It does go back to normal about two weeks after the birth! Good luck
Monday 11 February 2008 8.46am
Famous old adage: never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie. It's just fluid accumulating, and it's amazing how it all drains away after the birth. It's supposed to bolster you against all the knocks you (might) get! Only a few weeks to go...that's why God made pregnancy nine months. By the time you're due you are just SO ready to be shot of the thing, you dont care at all if it hurts or anything! Hope to make it back in time, Katia! I'm flying in on 25th Feb...so as long as baby doesnt rush it, I should be there. (For those of you who dont know it, I am this baby's next door neighbour, official baby sitter, substitute granny, general dote-er and coo-er).
Monday 11 February 2008 12.46pm
and eat loads of celery ( natural diurectic) I never had bear paws, just a tight wedding ring...what did hospital tell you? mind you mind my feet would not fit in a shoe box!
Monday 11 February 2008 1.29pm
And speak to your midwife too

And having had very swollen feet first time round I can absolutely vouch for keeping your feet up as high as possible!

Good luck!
Monday 11 February 2008 5.41pm
Thank you all. Mind you, beer is a diuretic and I would love one, beats celery, but I guess baby decrees celery instead...trying to keep her in until you're back, Jackie. I shall be using every pillow the house has on offer. Might have to make Mark sleep on the sofa instead to have enough space in bed soon. Will ask midwife regarding hazel, sounds good.
Saturday 23 February 2008 1.00pm
Sob, 40th week and I am still pregnant. All the curry and hot baths and pinapples don't help...
Saturday 23 February 2008 1.14pm
Hang in there Katia, I'm on my way, back Monday. Good little girl is doing her stipulated 40 weeks, so she'll be good and cooked.
Saturday 23 February 2008 2.05pm
Shall I tell her to come Tuesday so you have day to arrive properly?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network