Deerbyshire Chocolate cake

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 11 February 2008 3.45pm
Has anyone ever eaten it, purchased or made it?
Sunday 17 February 2008 9.55am
I spent much of the first eighteen years of my life regularly visiting Derbyshire and I've never heard of it.

Bakewell pudding (as distinct from the debased Bakewell Tart) was the only native dessert I can think of.

Howewever, the Chatsworth Farm shop sells some very nice chocolate cakes. They were also selling an amazing "beetroot and chocolate cake" last year.

They occasionally make the incredibly rich "Duke's Chocolate Cake" which actually has a Russian-American heritage.

However, Googling forthe recipe, I stumbled upon a website "Derbyshire Desserts" - linke to a book not yet published?

This also has a recipe for Earl Sterndale Chocolate Cake
Saturday 1 March 2008 3.15pm
Jan, the only Derbyshire cake recipe I've found so far is this one in Helen Edden's County Recipes of Old England (1927)

Derbyshire Cake

1/2lb butter

1lb flour

1/2lb currants

1/2lb moist sugar

1 egg

1/4 pint milk

Rub the butter into the flour, then add the sugar and currants. Mix with the egg and the milk, form into a paste and roll it out thin, and cut into little round cakes with a cutter. Lay them on a buttered baking sheet, and bake them slowly for about 10 minutes.

In Neil Heaton's 1951 anthology, Traditional Recipes of The British Isles, he gives largely the same recipe but advises an oven temperature of 400 degrees F.

No chocolate though. I'll keep looking.
Thursday 6 March 2008 12.47pm
Thank you Tharg...i have all the ingredients to hand apart from the ' moist' sugar...so will damp a bag of tate and lyle under the tap!..:-)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: