Advice needed on debit card payment

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 7 March 2008 12.26pm
3 months ago, I went on a holiday to Namibia and I bought a diamond from the official national mine. My boyfriend paid part of it and I paid for the balance. Both of us used our debit cards from different banks (Barclay's/Nationwide). None of our accounts have been debited yet. We are quite worried because we have to think of keeping quite a large amount of money on our accounts at all times and the exchange rate is not moving favourably with time. As far as I understand debit cards payments are supposed to be debited straight away from your account. All the other payments I made during my holidays went straight out of my account. So how come a larger amount did not? Does anyone know how long are banks authorised to delay? I cannot find any information on the net...Any advice would be very welcome!
Friday 7 March 2008 1.04pm
As far as I am aware, there is a time limit on presenting the payment to the bank (same as cheques) but am not absolutely sure. It is probably worthwhile to check the terms and conditions of your account, and speak to both banks as well to find out what their policy is. In the mean time, you may find some usefull information here:

Good luck
Friday 7 March 2008 1.12pm
Hi Tattie,
Thanks for the advice. I have already visited this website but could not find any information or regulations on debit cards...
Friday 7 March 2008 3.18pm
Why don't you call the bank? They should be able to tell you whether the charge has been put against your account but not taken. Perhaps the transaction didn't work from the Namibian side.
Friday 7 March 2008 5.24pm
Call my bank is an idea, I would have to find their number first...Maybe I should drop by and beg them to take my money! The Namibians have my contact details so they must have received their money on their side otherwise they would have already called me. Ah well, I should just close my account and flee the country on another holiday...
Friday 7 March 2008 5.52pm
Connie talking about ice..not quite a diamond...i purchased goods in Iceland store down the Blue, took a month to show on my account!
Wednesday 26 March 2008 1.16pm
I've even found debit card payments made in this country to take some time to go through, while others appear same day. I often find payments to Boots can take over a week to show up, and I once paid for food at Thorpe Park by card which took almost a month to come out of my bank!
Friday 28 March 2008 4.12pm
Still not debited and haven't yet had time to go to our banks to clarify. Nearly 4 months now...
Thursday 3 April 2008 8.06am
Perhaps you Connie you've both managed to have a ' freebie'
Thursday 10 April 2008 10.25am
Connie - definitely contact your bank on this.

I don't know how this would work in an international situation but if it was UK law you would still owe the money. I believe you would be holding it on constructive trust. In UK law the other side would have 6 years to make a claim from you. Again this is more complex because you are dealing with a jeweller in Nimibia.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: