Gambling on good Friday.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 21 March 2008 11.39am
Gambling on good Friday

I'm not religious , but It doesn't feel right to me ,

Soon bank holidays won't exist at all.
Friday 21 March 2008 4.13pm
I think it's all about choice. I am fed up of the Nanny State and anyone associated with it telling me what I should/should not be doing/thinking. I will make up my own blimmin mind thanks.
Saturday 22 March 2008 12.21am
you mean its about money.
Monday 24 March 2008 12.23am
No, it's about choice - I bet you I'm right - how much?
Tuesday 25 March 2008 11.50am
I'm not religious either, but I think that the crucifiction legend has soldiers casting lots for Jesus' clothes on Good Friday, so if I were looking to justify having a flutter I'd probably start there.

...if you press it, they will come.
ADT
Tuesday 25 March 2008 2.52pm
I don't think religion is a good reason for not allowing bank holiday gambling. If you chose to adhere to a religion that is against it, then don't do it. If you don't practice such a religion, or chose not to adhere to whatever constraints your religion places on you (it is often not your choice of religion after all, but one you inherited from your parents) then feel free.

However, this is a symptom of a gradual erosion of bank holidays that has been going for some time, and is not a good thing in my view - having another set of employees (i.e. the gambling industry) receive pressure to work on bank holidays is another step toward reserving these 'national' holidays for middle class professionals and the like.
Tuesday 25 March 2008 4.30pm
Gambling is legal, in the secular country that we live in. This surely means that it's as legal on days which one religion holds dear as on days which no religion holds dear. Unless we're planning to ban gambling on the Jewish Sabbath, or at Eid, etc?

To ban gambling on Good Friday would be as preposterous as making retailers hide cigarettes under the counter whilst still allowing them to sell cigarettes. Oh, hold on, that's what the Govt are proposing to do ;0)

Tuesday 25 March 2008 6.16pm
You funny Ivanhoe!!! I totally agree with you! But it would be a mute point to argue after all it is a religious holiday, therfore bears no meaning for persons who do not follow that religion. I think the conflict arose because Old England was predominantly Catholic and New England has diversified faster than the Govt has been able to keep up with.
Tuesday 25 March 2008 6.19pm
mickysalt wrote:
Gambling on good Friday
I'm not religious , but It doesn't feel right to me ,

Soon bank holidays won't exist at all.

Mickysalt in as much as you're not religious, you've got to thank the Catholic Church for 95% of bank holidays!
Wednesday 26 March 2008 9.20am
roamnbutterfly wrote:
I think the conflict arose because Old England was predominantly Catholic.
Tell that to Henry 8th and Cromwell
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: