USA Elections

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 34
Friday 5 September 2008 7.12pm
I wonder how Palin will shape up as a debator. A good speaker does not necessarily make a good debator (see Obama), McCain is not much of a debator or orator. Biden I still don't know. I wonder if this will be the first time the VP debate is very interesting...
Friday 5 September 2008 7.27pm
I think Markadams99 might be right that we could be in for a surprise with Palin vs Biden. I think Biden will have to work harder during the preparations than Palin: simply because he is probably not at all used to communicating on that level.

His 'fort' is foreign policy,and on the substance he can win. But, hey, the electorate will not judge them on that. The irony is that the lack of foreign policy experience is seen as a handicap, whereas the American people actually don't give a damn about foreign affairs. That is exactly the problem with that country. All they do is count the number of casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Friday 5 September 2008 7.32pm
I actually thought Obama might ask Clinton to be VP. When are the debates and how many will there be? (Baby is teething, so I'll be awake to watch them)
Friday 5 September 2008 7.39pm
markadams99 wrote:
Gosh you lot are prickly when your assumptions are challenged.

Not quite sure who's the prickliest. Since this thread was started you've made 33 posts, Jackie has made 14, Maurits 12, Katia 12 and I've made 10.
Friday 5 September 2008 8.02pm
Katia wrote:
I actually thought Obama might ask Clinton to be VP. When are the debates and how many will there be? (Baby is teething, so I'll be awake to watch them)

Presidential debates:
September 26: Oxford, Mississippi
October 7: Nashville, Tennessee
October 15: Hempstead, New York
Vice presidential debate: October 2, St. Louis, Missouri
Friday 5 September 2008 8.12pm
markadams99 wrote:
martinr wrote:
I find the comparison with Thatcher amazing simply because Palin has only been in the public eye at a national level for a matter of days... The comparison is only being made because they're both women.
If I may quote myself: One day later, after McCain's fatherly speech, Sarah Palin seems even more significant. She is the future. I suppose that's what others see in Obama. Thatcherites like me are projecting their hopes onto her as liberals project onto Obama. Suddenly, if McCain loses, Palin is front-runner for 2012 nominee. In a way we want to hurry up and get there, skipping over the honourable old man, but the chemistry between McCain and Palin may be special enough that this VP has real power. She'd be an operator with a mandate and a hinterland. This piece by the admirable Barbara Amiel, who is going through her own Purgatory as is Thatcher, makes interesting play with the Thatcher/Palin idea. It reminds me of François Mitterand's aperçu about Thatcher: she has the eyes of Caligula and the lips of Marilyn Monroe.

There are some other interesting quotes from you on your site:

August 25th
Most of the show around the London Olympics makes me cringe, especially the pc propaganda for 'diversity', cripples as athletes, ant-like communitarianism, wrinkly heavy metal, effeminate male performers

August 18th:
but have you noticed how often Australian women look like wombats, either the common wombat or the hairy-nosed wombat?

August 12th:
Obama repels me. He's a metrosexual phony unworthy of America's history and unworthy of the time. His base is a coalition of 'victims', emos, litigators, narcissists and corporatists. Not my type, not my types.

June 28th:
Vote Obama, vote for the right to life...of child-rapists.

June 12th:
The legislation is presumed to target Islamic terrorists, who are probably UK citizens, and I, like most, hate their guts just for their ideology (Islamist guts, that is - the UK government has none to hate) even if they are law-abiding, so I'm happy if they suffer

I have nothing more to say. End of story.....
Friday 5 September 2008 8.18pm
martinr wrote:
markadams99 wrote:
Gosh you lot are prickly when your assumptions are challenged.

Not quite sure who's the prickliest. Since this thread was started you've made 33 posts, Jackie has made 14, Maurits 12, Katia 12 and I've made 10.
I'll have to think about that.
Friday 5 September 2008 8.22pm
martinr wrote:
markadams99 wrote:
martinr wrote:
I find the comparison with Thatcher amazing simply because Palin has only been in the public eye at a national level for a matter of days... The comparison is only being made because they're both women.
If I may quote myself: One day later, after McCain's fatherly speech, Sarah Palin seems even more significant. She is the future. I suppose that's what others see in Obama. Thatcherites like me are projecting their hopes onto her as liberals project onto Obama. Suddenly, if McCain loses, Palin is front-runner for 2012 nominee. In a way we want to hurry up and get there, skipping over the honourable old man, but the chemistry between McCain and Palin may be special enough that this VP has real power. She'd be an operator with a mandate and a hinterland. This piece by the admirable Barbara Amiel, who is going through her own Purgatory as is Thatcher, makes interesting play with the Thatcher/Palin idea. It reminds me of François Mitterand's aperçu about Thatcher: she has the eyes of Caligula and the lips of Marilyn Monroe.

There are some other interesting quotes from you on your site:

August 25th
Most of the show around the London Olympics makes me cringe, especially the pc propaganda for 'diversity', cripples as athletes, ant-like communitarianism, wrinkly heavy metal, effeminate male performers

August 18th:
but have you noticed how often Australian women look like wombats, either the common wombat or the hairy-nosed wombat?

August 12th:
Obama repels me. He's a metrosexual phony unworthy of America's history and unworthy of the time. His base is a coalition of 'victims', emos, litigators, narcissists and corporatists. Not my type, not my types.

June 28th:
Vote Obama, vote for the right to life...of child-rapists.

June 12th:
The legislation is presumed to target Islamic terrorists, who are probably UK citizens, and I, like most, hate their guts just for their ideology (Islamist guts, that is - the UK government has none to hate) even if they are law-abiding, so I'm happy if they suffer

I have nothing more to say. End of story.....
Thanks for the publicity. I hope you enjoyed the articles. thelightcavalry
The Shag Thames Residents' Association
Friday 5 September 2008 8.30pm
Or what about this one:

[iVDH points out that:
every Democratic presidential nominee for president and vice president in the last seven elections — except Gore, who dropped out of law school to run for Congress — has been a lawyer.
Can't resist it: You have a rifle, 2 bullets and face a lawyer and a charging tiger. What do you do? You shoot the lawyer twice to make sure he's dead.
[/i]

Well done, MartinR- nothing more needs to be said.
Friday 5 September 2008 8.37pm
maurits wrote:
Or what about this one:

[iVDH points out that:
every Democratic presidential nominee for president and vice president in the last seven elections — except Gore, who dropped out of law school to run for Congress — has been a lawyer.
Can't resist it: You have a rifle, 2 bullets and face a lawyer and a charging tiger. What do you do? You shoot the lawyer twice to make sure he's dead.
[/i]

Well done, MartinR- nothing more needs to be said.
You don't allow lawyer jokes in your clique? Here's the link so you can see Shakespeare's comment alongside.
Current: 11 of 34

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network