USA Elections

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 34
wjfox2004 Thursday 4 September 2008 10.15am
Most of those things you list - poverty, sickness, food shortage, homelessness, etc. are going to be directly related to global warming. So I stand by my statement that global warming is, ultimately, the #1 issue.

There will be *massive* food and water shortages over the next few decades, as a direct result of increasing temperatures which affect the weather cycles, rain, agriculture, insect populations and disease transmission, etc. etc. We can reduce these things (i.e. kill several birds with one stone) by massively investing in renewable energy sources, and increasing the energy efficiency of our cars and homes, etc. Unfortunately this is something the Republicans don't seem to care about.
markadams99 Thursday 4 September 2008 10.40am
wjfox2004 wrote:
martinr wrote:
I find it terrifying that a woman who believes that the Earth is only 6-12,000 years and ignores all the evidence to the contrary could potentially be President of the most powerful nation on the planet.

Hear, hear...

Especially at a time when our civilisation needs to embrace science more than ever - global warming is THE single most important issue facing the world right now.
What is your source on SP and Creationism? I only find this quote, with which I, an Evolutionist, have no problem: "Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both. And you know, I say this too as the daughter of a science teacher. Growing up with being so privileged and blessed to be given a lot of information on both sides of the subject - creationism and evolution…It's been a healthy foundation for me. But don't be afraid of information and let kids debate both sides."
Anthropogenic Global Warming and indeed Global Warming are highly controversial among scientists, so to associate dissent on AGW with un-science is a distortion.
jackie rokotnitz Thursday 4 September 2008 10.58am
JUst watching Larry King Live, general opinion on the speech that it was short on policy or substance, the sniping at Obama short on facts, and
wjfox2004 Thursday 4 September 2008 10.59am
Creationism isn't science. It's a loony bronze-age dogma that's been thoroughly debunked, with utterly overwhelming evidence against it. If it must be taught, keep it in the church, NOT in classrooms.

America has a massive global influence in scientific research. Time spent teaching this batshit insane myth about talking snakes and magic gardens could instead be spent teaching kids about real science, biology, the environment, nature, etc. - i.e. things which are useful and relevant to the 21st century. We are facing a global crisis of unprecedented scale... I suggest you read "6 Degrees" by Mark Lynas. Even a 2 degree rise is going to be catastrophic.
jackie rokotnitz Thursday 4 September 2008 11.05am
Oops, got cut off in the middle. Anyway, I think the woman is shrill and mediocre, she knows how to read off an autocue a speech which someone else wrote. Her digs at Obama were redolent of sixthform name calling, and making out that because Barak Obama wasnt old enough to fight in Vietnam it makes him less competent to be President than John McCain is just ridiculous. Barak Obama has twenty years' record of public service. He has gravitas and class. This woman has a BABY for heaven's sake. How does that fit her so marvellously for "that three am. call"? Get real!
markadams99 Thursday 4 September 2008 11.06am
Neil wrote:
markadams99 wrote:
Maybe the attitudinising stems from insecurity about Obama's farcical lack of qualification.

What qualifies someone for the post of President of the United States?
Executive experience, life experience, achievements, coherent political philosophy, character, ability to speak without a teleprompter, judgement. Things which don't qualify someone include: race, gender, your own Presidential seal, the opinion of media and Hollywood elites, a record of zero legislative achievement, zero executive experience, dubious and corrupt mentors and associates like 'Goddamn America' Wright and 'We didn't do enough bombing' Ayers and 'Let me subsidize your mansion' Rezko. A further non-qualification is to kill a bill to help babies who survive abortions.
markadams99 Thursday 4 September 2008 11.18am
wjfox2004 wrote:
Creationism isn't science. It's a loony bronze-age dogma that's been thoroughly debunked, with utterly overwhelming evidence against it. If it must be taught, keep it in the church, NOT in classrooms.
America has a massive global influence in scientific research. Time spent teaching this batshit insane myth about talking snakes and magic gardens could instead be spent teaching kids about real science, biology, the environment, nature, etc. - i.e. things which are useful and relevant to the 21st century. We are facing a global crisis of unprecedented scale... I suggest you read "6 Degrees" by Mark Lynas. Even a 2 degree rise is going to be catastrophic.
God, you're one angry fellow! Creationism's better version, Intelligent Design, isn't science, but it's perfectly arguable philosophy, the mirror image of Unintelligent Design which I infer to be your position.
Re Anthropogenic Global Warming, your claim that it is established science is debunked by many scientists, for example in this petition by 9,000 science PhD's among others
markadams99 Thursday 4 September 2008 11.27am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
I think the woman is shrill and mediocre, she knows how to read off an autocue a speech which someone else wrote. Her digs at Obama were redolent of sixthform name calling, and making out that because Barak Obama wasnt old enough to fight in Vietnam it makes him less competent to be President than John McCain is just ridiculous. Barak Obama has twenty years' record of public service. He has gravitas and class. This woman has a BABY for heaven's sake. How does that fit her so marvellously for "that three am. call"? Get real!
I watched a different speech. So did this liberal commentator:"Several moderate-Democrat friends of mine have been emailing—few if any would ever vote for McCain—but all agree that Palin was very strong. The more liberal among them are a little panicked."
Katia Thursday 4 September 2008 11.36am
She is a brilliant choice. She is cocky and mumsy at once, she will appeal to a lot of people. The pregnant daughter is a bonus, showing Palin to be compassionate. (It also shows how ineffective abstinence-only sex education is.) Even the shrieky voice is good, makes her look new to the game and very un-Washington DC.

Should I ever have to hire someone, I shall ask these guys to do the interviewing for me.

Still haven't seen Biden.
wjfox2004 Thursday 4 September 2008 11.36am
I bet that petition was made by oil companies/big corporations and their associates.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 34

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions