USA Elections

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 34
Thursday 4 September 2008 3.19pm
Katia wrote:
Thank you, markadams. I am not amazed that eloquent people can be religious and care about a politician's character. Equally, liberalism and indeed atheism does not make one a person of no moral stance.
I am amazed that the Republicans don't have a deeper rift. Are there Republicans who are both of "no taxes, no state" and "moral and religous stance most important" groups? It's difficult to deny a rift, every candidate from one side had to appease the other.
By definition a republican cannot be 'no state'.
I don't understand you. Where is the conflict between low taxes, low state and 'moral and religious'? Am I misreading?
Thursday 4 September 2008 3.23pm
There is no conflict, I am just under the impression that the social conservative part of the party cares little about big market and big money (and hence little state involvement and low taxes for the well off) and vice versa.
Thursday 4 September 2008 3.28pm
Social conservatism and the minimal state are closely related in practice and theory. The deep link is individual assumption of responsibility as opposed to collective dissipation of responsibility.
Thursday 4 September 2008 3.30pm
Re big-brained eloquence, her tele-prompter broke:

Governor Palin continued, from memory, to deliver her speech without the teleprompter cued to the appropriate point in her speech.

Contrast this to Barack Obama who, when last his teleprompter malfunctioned, was left stuttering before a crowd unable to advance his speech until the problem was resolved.
Thursday 4 September 2008 3.36pm
I still haven't seen Bidden speak. Was he a good choice for Obama?
Thursday 4 September 2008 3.52pm
Katia wrote:
I still haven't seen Bidden speak. Was he a good choice for Obama?
No.
1. He has hairplugs.
2. He's a congenital liar for political gain even about the accident in which his wife and daughter died.
3. He's a 35 year Washington insider with a highly inconsistent and destructive track record on policy and the judiciary.
4. He has no executive experience.
5. He was chosen to cancel Obama's lack of foreign relations background in the aftermath of Georgia. That appears weak and underlines Obama's deficit.
6. He's had a charm transplant.
7. He's been explicit that Obama is not ready to lead.
8. He has a shady background in relation to credit card legislation.
9. His son is a serious lobbyist.
10. He's gaffe-prone and undisciplined.

Obama should have taken Hillary and put out a contract on Bill for Jan 5th.
Thursday 4 September 2008 3.55pm
here's Biden speaking: http://tinyurl.com/62m439
Thursday 4 September 2008 3.55pm
Biden speaking: http://tinyurl.com/62m439
Thursday 4 September 2008 3.58pm
sounds a bit like our mayor Boris!
Thursday 4 September 2008 4.34pm
markadams99 wrote:
Social conservatism and the minimal state are closely related in practice and theory. The deep link is individual assumption of responsibility as opposed to collective dissipation of responsibility.

Really ? Why is that under the Bush presidency (which is by any stretch of the imagination socially conservative) there has also been a huge growth in the size of the state and state spending ?

From the Economist:

AMERICA'S infamous debt clock, near New York's Times Square, was switched off in 2000 after the national burden started to fall thanks to several years of Clinton-era budget restraint. However, it was reactivated two years later as the politically motivated urge to splurge once again took over. The debt has since swollen to $9.5 trillion, with the value of unfunded public promises (if you include entitlements such as Social Security and Medicare) nudging $53 trillion—or $175,000 for every American—and rising. On current trends, these will amount to some 240% of GDP by 2040, up from a just-about-manageable 65% today.
Current: 7 of 34

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network