The Get Carter Car Park.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 29 April 2008 4.39pm
The Get Carter car park
I popped up to Newcastle at the weekend and apparently it transpires that the car park featured in Get Carter is now to be demolished ,
I have mixed feelings about it ,I don't like it , but it is famous for appearing in that film,
I notice they sell posters with its deign at the Baltic gallery of contemporary art.
However I think its true to say a multi story car park is scrapeing the barrel for a tourist attraction.

Its also from an era when Newcastle was run by people like Ken Livingston who nearly wrecked the place in the 70s, and it also has to be said that the only reasons anyone gets of the train between London and Edinburgh is because they know Newcastle is not really how it was depicted in that film anyway.
Tuesday 29 April 2008 5.35pm
Mellowing with age. I had to read up to paragraph TWO to find a slur on Lord Livingstone of Potters Fields

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 29 April 2008 5.55pm
6 weeks notice until it shuts.

'It is due to be demolished as part of a town centre redevelopment by supermarket giant Tesco.'

I bet Ken has been to Tesco. I smell conspiracy.
Tuesday 29 April 2008 6.01pm
I always thought that the world's hardest tongue twister was "red leather yellow leather".

I was wrong - try repeating "The Get Carter Car Park" six times - brilliant.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: