Home Schooling

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 26 May 2008 12.25pm
Does anyone in SE1 home school their children at the moment?

Thanks

Cate
Thursday 8 January 2009 2.45pm
Cate
Have you taken up home schooling? If so I would be interested to hear how you are progressing. We are seriously considering the same for our two children.
Thanks
Alisha
Monday 12 January 2009 2.23pm
Hi Alisha, I have pm'd you. Regards, Cate
Monday 12 January 2009 4.25pm
Many thanks Cate I've now replied also by pm
Thursday 15 January 2009 9.27am
Cateness,

I remember when my children were very small and one or two people talked about home schooling, I thought they were mad. Most probably because I found it quite hard spending long periods with very small children.

But my second is now in year 6, and we are having a nightmare time. She was candidate number 2000 odd for one selective state school, and our nearest secondary (GCH) only has 15 places for non CofE and had three sittings, with queues round the block for each. Our son never got allocated a state school place. Lambeth are simply too short of them, and the nearest they came to finding us anything was saying there might be a spare place somewhere in Camden, but then never got back.

The trouble is second time round is that girls private schools seem to be able to demand higher standards, and there is no certainty that anyone will want to take our money. So a whole round of demanding and long tests. (At the moment schools are being rated on the standard of the snack they provide.)

As a result I have ended up spending lots of time with her, supporting her through homework and exam practice and also encouraging out of school activities in order to build her confidence. (I really recommend the latter. Being good at something outside school because she enjoys it and works at it has genuinely carried over into her confidence and approach in school.)

Actually, apart from the fairly pointless non-VR practice (luckily she likes Suduko and so does not mind it, and also we have not done anywhere near the amount that would have got her into one of the really sought after state schools), it has been fun, and knowing about what she is learning means that we have been able to encourage her interest in a variety of ways. And has slightly left me feeling that rather than work (in two jobs) in order to pay for an education that the State chooses not to provide to inner-City children, not working and home-educating might have been a more interesting option. Though I would be concerned that it might all be a bit intense and cause an awkward blurring of the partent and teacher role.

I do know one family who have home-educated 5 children until the age of 10. Lovely kids and all very close. Poster children for the idea. I know a second family who are in the process of removing four children from school, in part because their eldest (9) has some learning issues, though is in and belongs in mainstream school, and so had few options in either the state or private sector. I quite envy the mother. (They are also planning to move away from London which then gives them the option of a properly comprehensive comprehensive for their daughter if she misses school.)

I assume that a recession, and a frozen house market, may mean more home schooling, as private schools become increasingly unaffordable and people can't move.

Anyway good luck.

I looked back at the secondary school thread from 2 years ago and saw that the conclusion was that we would need a stiff drink when it was all over. This time round I feel the same, but in spades. My daughter is bearing up and has approached it all with a surprising degree of maturity, but that does not take away from the fact that it is awful.

And we have been really lucky in getting help from someone on the forum who knows about the process and who has been absolutely kind in explaining it to us. You know who you are. Take a bow!

Sarah
Friday 16 January 2009 5.06pm
It might be too late now to say don't panic, and its moving away from the topic, but the 'incredibly competitive girls' school' myth is just that. I've never heard of anyone who was prepared to pay not getting them into a selective and good school, and in London it doesn't even mean them having to schlep further than the State 'alternative'. Apologies to original poster for straying.
Sunday 18 January 2009 2.04pm
Thanks Alex.

Current (private) school was being amazingly negative. To the extent that I ended up asking whether they had anything positive at all to say about my daughter. However we have sort of hit a truce, and I have now been told that they have written a supportive report for the schools she would like to go to. (Their recommended school did not tick any of the boxes, eg in terms of sports offered, and was a 3 bus journey.)I think it is really sad that a child is judged and written off, essentially at 9 or 10.

But daughter has come through fighting and has worked very very hard. I still dont understand why though she and hundreds of others had to sit through almost three hours of tests at our nearest state school - starting after the school day. There is minimal chance she will get a place. Couldn't they instead either shorten the exam or simply be honest, say they want to select and then short test and interview. It would also be nice if more private schools could hold common exams.

In fairness the private schools we have tried have been really helpful and my daughter bounced out of her first interview saying it had been fun. And now it is a case of getting through the marathon and seeing what turns up. My own instinct is that despite what her current school say someone will take her, though we are pretty reconciled to having to sit it out for a year or two for a wait list or occasional place.

The point I was making earlier was that we have had essentially to go out buy the text books and supplement her school work. And to my surprise I have found myself enjoying it. Starting again I would consider, as long as I could find others to share the burden and dilute the intensity, home-schooling and can see that it might be a richer alternative for a child who was lost in the middle. But, as with many things in life, I did not know this when we started.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network