US Presidential Election 2008

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 5 June 2008 9.16am
With Barack Obama confirmed as the Democratic nominee - and John McCain as the Republican - who do you want to see as the next President of the United States this November?
Thursday 5 June 2008 10.15am
I'd like Obama. But it wouldn't astonish me if McCain won.
Thursday 5 June 2008 12.26pm
I seriously hope that America votes for Obama, but you never can tell. Any nation that voted for George W. TWICE cannot be trusted to make sensible choices.
Thursday 5 June 2008 4.28pm
I'd advise against any rushed decisions. Why not extend the election process for another year or two? After all, we've hardly seen the candidates yet.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 5 June 2008 7.17pm
If I knew how to pray, I'd pray for Obama.
Friday 6 June 2008 11.11am
Another 4 years of McBush would cripple America. The country desperately needs a change of direction and Obama is its last best hope. It's rare for a politician to speak so honestly, and with such obvious common sense.

He would take on the corporations and the special interests. He would pull out of Iraq, bring jobs and investment back to America, help families and those on lower incomes, and take a far more serious approach to the environment. Amercia really needs this man. I would highly recommend his book, The Audacity of Hope.
Friday 6 June 2008 1.19pm
It is obvious who you would vote for, wjfox! What Obama proposes to do as President is admirable & definitely better than what Dubya has done in 8 years. However he needs to get elected first. Sadly, the red neck states in the middle of the US will never vote for a black man (even if he is half white) who nobody had heard of 4 years ago.
Friday 6 June 2008 2.51pm
Terrifying isn't it?

Though Huckabee woulda been a whole lot worse still.
Saturday 7 June 2008 11.10am
One died-in-the-wool Republican sneered to me that "he's a white man pretending to be black"!!! How much prejudice can you find? I just hope that common sense and charisma will overcome the hurdles. I'm not saying that Obama is perfect (and all political careers end in failure they say) but he's at last someone sincere, and certainly he's a top class brain (two Ivy league degrees, head of the Harvard Law Review - the highest you can go at Harvard Law School). And he turned down a huge job with a top lawyer to go and work in the deprived areas of Chicago. One classy guy.
Monday 9 June 2008 1.45pm
I read in the papers at the weekend that in the redneck states (like Kentucky etc), dyed-in-the-wool Democrats will vote for McCain because they're more racist than they are Democrat. In those primaries, Hillary Clinton got over 80% of the vote, again because they wouldn't vote for a black man. It never fails to amaze me at how ignorant great tranches of America are.

That will be a fairly big problem for Obama to get round.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: