100 years old

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Jac
Wednesday 13 August 2008 9.11am
My friends grandmother will be celebrating her 100th birthday in a couple of weeks and she is at a lost as to what to buy her as a present. She has thought about naming a star after her but I wondered if any SE1ers had some other good ideas.
Wednesday 13 August 2008 9.46am
A really big birthday cake and a bottle of her favourite sherry (or alternative) is probably the route I would choose. However, I like naming a star. I think you can also do something like that with parts of a forest?
Wednesday 13 August 2008 1.38pm
When my nan turned 100 we got her a super-hi-power Walkman (she was a bit deaf) and a shed load of her fave old tunes. Agree with the cake and sherry thing - plus get as many of her mates over that you can round up.
Wednesday 13 August 2008 2.56pm
skydiving lessons? Day at the races? Sports car track day? Hot Air Balloon ride? tickets to a show? Bottle of Guiness? Weekend trip to Paris (or Las Vegas)?

any other ideas required?
Wednesday 13 August 2008 4.40pm
Make sure you get a really good Album of her family and her life, with newspaper clippings of the times and so on.
Wednesday 13 August 2008 8.50pm
The Model T Ford is also 100 years old this year.

Now that the summer wedding season is drawing to a close, you might be able to hire one for the day if your friend's grandmother is agile enough to get on board with assorted great grandchildren in the back.
Wednesday 13 August 2008 11.56pm
A telegram from the Queen used to be automatic but nowadays as there are so many reaching 100 I think you have to request one. Probably get a TEXT message instead of a telegram.
Just googled 'telegram from the queen' and got this which suggests it's a hassle. Although that might make it more collectable.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/dec/11/comment.michelehanson
Jac
Thursday 14 August 2008 10.31am
Thanks there are some nice ideas and perhaps some not so helpful(jonR) but made me smile anyway. I shall pass these on. I think the party/cake is already planned but i had no idea you had to go through such hoops to get a birthday card from the queen.
Thursday 14 August 2008 11.14am
When I reach 100 I want a mens Olympic gymnastic team and a can of WD-40.
Thursday 14 August 2008 3.14pm
Naming a star... If you're going to throw money away on something completely impersonal and totally useless, then at least name a donkey in the third world.

Otherwise, a cashmere scarf; a bottle of malt; perfume - something luxurious that will get "used up".
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: