Bernadette Devlin

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 21 August 2008 6.46pm
Is there any one here who can remember the date that she gave her maiden speech at Tower Hill?
Thursday 21 August 2008 9.40pm
23 April 1969 (her 22nd birthday)
Friday 22 August 2008 7.47am
Thank you Boss st bloke..:-) I now have to get the newspapers showing that event, because my father who had this habit of popping up everywhere with his bottle, was right in front of her, cant remember if it was the Evening News or Standard which showed a clear photo of it.

My Mum who is ninety wants to see it again..the paper not my father!
Monday 25 August 2008 10.40pm
Jan Did you mean her maiden speech or some other event she was at?

She was certainly unconventional in making her first speech in the House of Commons within an hour of taking her seat but I can't see how this ties up with your reference to Tower Hill?
Tuesday 26 August 2008 7.51am
Because she also gave a speech at Tower Hill and I was under the wrong impression that it was her maiden speech..:-( but she gave a rousing speech either that day or a day or two later. We were in hysterics when we saw the photo on the front page, mind you he had a brilliant analytical mind so may have had something to say about her speech! I just dont know how easy it would be to track it down, Is it difficult to get to the newpaper libray?
Tuesday 26 August 2008 9.38am
Jan the old one wrote:
Is it difficult to get to the newpaper libray?

No, not at all. It's in Colindale which is on the Northern line direct from Waterloo. Then it's only a two minute walk from the station.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: