The Future

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 5 September 2008 9.54am
What do you think the world will be like in 2050? What about 2100? And even further...?
Friday 5 September 2008 11.21am

owned by Tes(co-Goo)gle.

managed by Googlement

no (human) life on Earth, all moved to colonies on the moon and near planets.
Friday 5 September 2008 1.22pm
Population in decline after lots of even more high tech wars, and nature clawing back the world with forrests and deserts. Only very few small self contained communities around the world who will be in contact with each other using high speed wireless internet. Hardly any face to face communication

Hmmm - bit gloomy....
Friday 5 September 2008 2.53pm
Interesting question.

Do you think we'll see as many life-changing inventions as in the past 100 years? The wide spread adoption of the telephone (fixed and mobile), the internet, radio, television, digital media, cars etc. will take some beating.

I don't think the world will get materially better or worse, but I do think that the gap between rich and poor will continue to widen.

As for wars and disputes, the view tends to be that these will be over oil, but, in fact, the scarcer resource may be water. Still, I have faith in the ability of man (and woman) to innovate our way out of trouble. If the ice caps are melting, we can use desalination plants to soak up the excess water and use for drinking, manufacturing, etc.!
Friday 5 September 2008 2.57pm
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough"
Albert Einstein

When the experiment with the Large Hadron Collider at the European Organisation for Nuclear Research takes place next week, the Earth will be sucked into a black hole.
Friday 5 September 2008 4.08pm
Phoney, you and so many others like you are wrong, on so many levels.

yes they are going to smash two sub atomic particles together at near light speeds, and yes they hope to see even smaller sub atomic particles that were around at the time of the big bang, to within a few micro seconds of the big bang, and yes it is possible, though incredibly unlikely, that they will form a black hole, however, if such a black hole were to be formed, it would be incredibly small, in the order of millionths of a centimeter across, and so negligible in density, that there is very little chance that it will be able to accumulate any nearby matter, and hence will be around for such a short length of time as to be completely harmless.

so yes it's possible, but it's also incredibly incredibly unlikely (even more unlikely than me winning the Euromillions jackpot three weeks running - so unlikley as to uncalculable)

they might not know what will happen, but they certainly do know what definitely won't happen.

therefore I'm completely unconcerned about the possibility of LHC black hole catastrophe, also given the fact that if something goes wrong, it'll happen so fast as to be unoticable by anyone anyway.
Friday 5 September 2008 4.25pm
carmenes82 wrote:

Do you think we'll see as many life-changing inventions as in the past 100 years?

Yes, definitely.

In fact, probably even more. Throughout history, technology has been progressing at an exponential rate. Look at Moore's Law for example which has consistently shown a doubling of computer power every 2 years. By the 2050's the combination of processing power, advanced AI, lifelike graphics and superfast net speeds will start to produce entities which are almost scarily humanlike. The Internet will evolve into a series of 3-D environments where you can interact with these "virtual employees" to buy products, or obtain advice and other services.

In 100 years and beyond, these computers might be so powerful that they could actually replicate a human brain, with an artificial body created through nanotechnology.

There will be major advances in biotechnology, genetics, medicine, etc... human lifespans will increase dramatically. Perhaps we'll even find a way of halting the ageing process altogether.

However, this will happen in parallel with catastrophic climate change, and most of humanity's efforts will need to be geared towards green technologies, energy efficiency, etc. to avoid a major crisis.
Friday 5 September 2008 5.33pm
Do you think humans can continue to adapt at this speed though? Virtual Reality (VR) was meant to be the next big thing, but it's now been around for 20 years (?) and hasn't been widely adopted.

Perhaps I'm getting old...

Definitely agree about medical technology - the life expectancy for children born in the US now is well over 100 I believe.
Friday 5 September 2008 7.54pm
carmenes82 wrote:
Do you think humans can continue to adapt at this speed though?

I think we'll see a growing divide between those who adapt to new technology, and those who have little if anything to do with it. There is still a fairly large chunk of the UK population who don't even use the Internet (for example).

carmenes82 wrote:
Virtual Reality (VR) was meant to be the next big thing, but it's now been around for 20 years (?) and hasn't been widely adopted.

I'm sure VR will see a resurgence, as graphics improve and the technology becomes more accessible.

Entire virtual worlds are already being created in the popular Second Life for example. That said, it doesn't involve a headset or goggles, or anything like that. But a more "immersive" form of VR will no doubt arrive eventually. There are already mind-control devices available for games consoles.

By the way, check out this virtual woman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVELyPvYsU

(!)

carmenes82 wrote:
the life expectancy for children born in the US now is well over 100 I believe.

No, that's wrong. American kids are getting fatter and less healthy, life expectancy is actually falling there I believe!
Saturday 6 September 2008 12.37pm
I see the struggle to cope with climate change being the biggest decider of what the futre will bring- Hopefully the scientist won't attempt climate modification....as I believe that will have disastrous effect...with the spreading of particles and what nots (it might end up like a diet pill which damages your insides will your outsides get pleasing to you)!

I'm looking forward to next week to see/hear the results of the Hadron Collider...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: