The Brits on the Americans

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 28 September 2008 7.25am
Who IS markadams99? His latest posting on the US Elections thread seems to imply that "we Brits" en bloc, despise and disrespect the Americans based on some comment by Stephen Fry. And since this posting was made in the early morning hours, perhaps he's writing from America. I much admire Stephen Fry. But the implication that the entire population of the UK feels superior to that of the USA is patently absurd. I for one admire the USA, have spent a large chunk of my life in the USA, have a HUGE American family, and my significant other is an American. Yet the mere suggestion that I a) find Sarah Palin an anathema and b)admire Barak Obama, means that I am somehow ignorant, warped, snobbish, and representative of a similarly ignorant, warped and snobbish nation. This is, frankly, offensive, ridiculous and supremely ignorant.
Sunday 28 September 2008 8.19am
The quote from Stephen Fry is from a Telegraph article yesterday:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/09/30/bofry130.xml&page=1

He's apparently done a book and TV show on travelling around the US.
Sunday 28 September 2008 8.32am
Jackie, did you edit your original post in the other thread? I see the comments reacting to your phrase "stupid, shallow merkins", but I no longer see your original use of it.
Sunday 28 September 2008 8.45am
I dont think I ever SAID "stupid shallow merkins", it was just an extrapolation by our friend markadams. It's not the sort of thing I WOULD say. Such generalisations are entirely contrary to my philosphy, and are indeed in and of themselves utterly shallow. Methinks the words "pot" and "kettle" come to mind.
Sunday 28 September 2008 9.08am
My mistake, sorry. I was sure I had read that and quoted you.
Sunday 28 September 2008 10.34am
Jackie Rokotnitz wrote:
American politics ARE nasty.In fact I guess all politics are pretty nasty. But what depresses me is that people are so shallow and stupid. Now a whole lot of people are whooping about the fact that Mrs. Palin is a woman...oh PULEEEZ, so are lots of people. Doesnt mean being a woman qualifies you for anything other than being better at having babies than men.
'Merkins' appear variously.

Possibly explained by:
Jackie Rokotnitz wrote:
I'm a total Obama freak
Sunday 28 September 2008 10.40am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Who IS markadams99? His latest posting on the US Elections thread seems to imply that "we Brits" en bloc, despise and disrespect the Americans based on some comment by Stephen Fry.
I think the ad hominem stuff has gone far enough. Kindly tone it down. I'm who I appear to be, an SE1 resident, a Londoner actually. Why do you ask?
As in other over the top assertions you impute positions which are unsupported by what was written:

Stephen Fry wrote:
I have often felt a hot flare of shame inside me when I listen to my fellow Britons casually jeering at the perceived depth of American ignorance, American crassness, American isolationism, American materialism, American lack of irony and American vulgarity. Aside from the sheer rudeness of such open and unapologetic mockery, it seems to me to reveal very little about America and a great deal about the rather feeble need of some Britons to feel superior.
Sunday 28 September 2008 11.00am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
I dont think I ever SAID "stupid shallow merkins", it was just an extrapolation by our friend markadams. It's not the sort of thing I WOULD say. Such generalisations are entirely contrary to my philosphy, and are indeed in and of themselves utterly shallow. Methinks the words "pot" and "kettle" come to mind.

Well... you did say "those dumb merkins" (28 Aug) and then "American politics ARE nasty.In fact I guess all politics are pretty nasty. But what depresses me is that people are so shallow and stupid" (2 Sept).

But look, the US election isn't all about YOU, or Mark Adams. And for heaven's sake, Stephen Fry wasn't writing about YOU personally, so the fact that you may understand America doesn't defeat his generalisation. Any more than the fact that the Professor is not a "dumb merkin" defeats your own generalisation.
Sunday 28 September 2008 1.53pm
Oh dear.

I don't think we need another thread going over this ground.

Can we turn down the temperature a bit please?

If we could all take a bit of care to avoid casually offensive broad-brush statements we might be able to concentrate on the more interesting substance of the debate re. the US elections.

Thanks.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: