art that we pay for?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 29 September 2008 8.01am
Followed a link for the telegraph, and seen the government art collection..in particular David Austens work..image number 6...

Please who can tell us who authorised the payment of the pen drawing of a flight of stairs? is it a joke? if not I really doubt the sanity of the Art world..

go to any nursery school and you'd get better results and for nothing!
Monday 29 September 2008 6.21pm
Here's the link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/uknews/3087766/The-Government-Art-Collection.html

I think they're etchings not drawings - the only reason I mention that is that the Government Art Collection won't have paid as much for editions as for unique works. They're available on the Ingleby Gallery website for 300 each, and I assume GAC would have got them at a discount:

http://www.inglebygallery.com/artists_detail.php?id=19

Jan, you asked who authorised the purchase. The GAC have a buying committee which includes directors of the various national collections etc. And they spend about 200,000 annually on new art. (I have no connection with the GAC - but I recently went on an open day tour of the collection, and asked this and other questions.)

Are the Austen pictures any good? Opinions will differ! I quite like them, but I haven't seen them other than on the web. Of the ones in the Telegraph piece, I think the spare, enigmatic staircase image is my favourite, though I suspect it's the kind of series that benefits from being hung and seen together.
Tuesday 30 September 2008 7.12am
To be honest Richard I had never heard of him until I followed that link, but I now will closely follow the one you have provided. I agree that some art should be seen in context and perhaps seeing them en-masse would have helped?
Tuesday 30 September 2008 12.21pm
I think Richard, Art must be like Life...One mans meat is anothers poison!

I still doubt the sanity of anyone paying for it though..especially the coated balloons hanging up like a childs mobile..

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: