store cupboard/cheap recipes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 30 September 2008 8.45am
Has anyone any cheap recipes for us to try? any ideas at all ? my daughter in derby has just e-mailed me for a recipe that cost pennies and i could not remember, marrow , cheese, tomatoes were in it..

from the soon to be reduntant one!
Tuesday 30 September 2008 11.08am
The bbc website has a section where you can type in the ingredients that you have, and it'll find a recipe for you, can't quite remember the exact url for it though.
Tuesday 30 September 2008 11.34am
The BBC website also has a section on cheap eats.

I remember when I was a student eating lots of rice dishes (simply frying the rice in some oil before adding a stock cube and any veggies / meat that I had hanging around), and using beans and pulses - bean stew was a favourite. Some fish, such as mackerel, is very cheap.

Shopping cheaply makes all the difference. If you go to East St market towards the end of the day you should be able to find produce being sold off cheaply.
Tuesday 30 September 2008 12.02pm
I love google!

"Poor Cook" is brilliant and I've had mine for thirty years! It's never failed.
Tuesday 30 September 2008 2.38pm
Jan, this is a lovely site:

I find a lot of inspiration here.
Wednesday 1 October 2008 4.36pm
Maurits, that site is great and the girls here were logging in too!

Jaybee richard mabey food for free is a favourite of mine . I had a old delia book which gave recipes for the financially embarassed lent it to someone, same old story no book now!
Wednesday 1 October 2008 9.51pm
is/was the Delia book called Frugal Food? We used to have a copy as well but ours has also disappeared! I'm sure I saw a copy on one of the second hand bookstalls down by the NFT,if I see it again I will grab a copy and pm you,there is another good book called the Paupers Cook Book,if you google it I am sure it will pop up. I'll look out for that as well (I am barred from buying any more books for home prior to our move)
Thursday 2 October 2008 7.31am
Coogie, thats great..I think it was frugal food? and I will google the paupers cookbook..I have just received your mail and will be writing back in a minute..:-)
Tuesday 7 October 2008 11.18pm
I just bought some Greens from Sainsbury's for 50p. Stir fry (quick at high heat) half of it (25p) for dinner with ginger, crushed garlic, and a table spoon of rice wine. Add a little fried shallots - optional(1 per container with about 20 serving) and served with a little bowl of steam rice. Guess it's less than a pound altogether? Fresh, healthy and yummy. My friend used to swear that her kids would not touch vegetables until I cooked them this dish.

Cooking gadgets - a large wok or pan with a bamboo spatula for the stir fry, and a rice cooker for the steam rice. Nothing fancy. It all took about 15 mins to wash, slice and cook.
Wednesday 8 October 2008 10.10am
I'm starving now Kaptau..that sounds day i'll buy a rice cooker because mine goes horrible
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: