Jean-Charles inquest

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 1 November 2008 5.18pm
Is anyone really surprised at the procession of lying police officers at this inquest? Personally I would not believe a British police officer if he/she stated that it got dark at night. Before all the colonel Blimps among you rush to judgement, other than the odd speeding or parking violation I have had no brush with the law. I base my statement on personal observation and the all too common cases similar to Sr. Menezes one. The collusion and note comparing after the shooting of the guy in Markham Sq. , the shooting of the man carrying a wrapped up chair leg in Hackney, (sorry guv, thought it was a shotgun). The innocent young man shot six times in the mini in Earls Court some twenty- twenty five years back, (did look vaguely like him didn't it guv)? All concerned still out on the street, be very careful out there.
Saturday 1 November 2008 10.50pm
All my dealings with the police either through work or on a personal level has been a very positive experience.
My view is , we have the best police force in the world. I have travelled and talk from experience.
Yes there will be individuals who let theselves/public/colleagues down but to generalise is not the way to go.
Saturday 1 November 2008 11.14pm
My view is , we have the best police force in the world. I have travelled and talk from experience.
Yes there will be individuals who let theselves/public/colleagues down but to generalise is not the way to go.[/quote]

Scooter, I too have travelled, and I have lived for extended periods of time in other countries. The British police are undoubtedly superior to some other countries law enforcement agencies. A minority of the officers of the UK police service are probably stand up guys who do their job to the best of their ability. That aside I have no faith whatsoever in their ability to tell the truth, and I stand by my original statement.
Sunday 2 November 2008 9.13pm
Do you think that the british police are more likely to lie than the police forces of other countries? The police, in some cases, may lie and this is woeful but I would still trust the police in this country far more than in 3/4 (at least) of the rest of the world!
Wednesday 5 November 2008 1.23pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
Is anyone really surprised at the procession of lying police officers at this inquest?

No. But I guess they believe they were / are doing the right thing and closing ranks at times like this happens in all jobs so why should the police be any different? The contradictory nature of the evidence would seem to suggest that some people are not being entirely truthful in their evidence. I found the evidence of Anna Dunwoodie both compelling and unsettling:

http://www.stockwellinquest.org.uk/hearing_transcripts/nov_03.pdf

It directly contradicts the evidence of some of the officers in parts.

I know which version I think is more plausible and, of course, the tragedy should never have happened but I think it's harsh to judge the police officers involved by normal standards (given the circumstances they were in) and ridiculous to generalise by saying we need to be careful of rogue police officers out there.
Wednesday 5 November 2008 4.09pm
I know which version I think is more plausible and, of course, the tragedy should never have happened but I think it's harsh to judge the police officers involved by normal standards (given the circumstances they were in) and ridiculous to generalise by saying we need to be careful of rogue police officers out there.[/quote]

That is your opinion Neil, and you have every right to express it. However I don't think that Steven Waldorf or his family would agree with it. Google the name and check it out.
Wednesday 5 November 2008 4.39pm
I suppose what I meant is that the shooting of innocent victims by armed police is so rare in this country as to not require warnings to "be careful out there".

You seem to be generalising far too much from a small number of deeply unfortunate cases.
Wednesday 5 November 2008 6.12pm
Neil wrote:
You seem to be generalising far too much from a small number of deeply unfortunate cases.

Neil,
I have no desire to cross swords with you over this, you see it one way, I see it another. However, if you go to the wikipedia entry on Stephen Waldorf you will read that the police discharged fourteen shots at him, hitting him five times. When he slumped from the car's open door a police officer put the barrel of his pistol to Mr. Waldorf's head, saying, "Okay, cocksucker," before pulling the trigger. As the gun was fortunately empty he then proceeded to pistol whip Mr. Waldorf into unconsciousness. Two police officers stood trial for Mr. Waldorf's attempted murder and were cleared of all charges. If firing fourteen bullets at an innocent man on the basis that his passenger was thought to have been the girlfriend of the miscreant that they were looking for isn't the action of two rogue coppers who then go on to get away with attempted murder, then I was obviously wrong and you were right, my apologies.
Wednesday 5 November 2008 7.04pm
I have been trying to remember that poor lads name and kept putting in stephen ward..kept getting christine keeler osteopath chap.
Is Mr Waldorf still alive?
Thursday 6 November 2008 11.17am
Jan the old one wrote:
I have been trying to remember that poor lads name and kept putting in stephen ward..kept getting christine keeler osteopath chap.
Is Mr Waldorf still alive?

I have no idea Jan, one can only hope so. He was 26 at the time of the incident in 1983, so he would be 51 now.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: