veggie special

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 7 November 2008 2.17pm
Can any one suggest a main meal for my veggie brother that I can cook the day before and transport to him...he has electric cooker and I cant get hang of it...for new years day....
Friday 7 November 2008 3.22pm
I've got a really nice recipe for Lasagna (veg) which might work? You would make it the day before and heat it up on the cooker?

I did not use and polenta in my version, but lots of tomato's, cheeses (goats, feta) and spinach. If you think it may work I'll dig out the recipe for you
Saturday 8 November 2008 1.38pm
Thank you Tattie, my brother looks after my Mum singlehandedly it will be a treat for him!
Saturday 8 November 2008 4.39pm
Discover more adventurous tastes.
This afternoon in Sainsburys BHS they have packs of 8 Mexican soft flour tortillas half price introduction. Suitable for vegetarians. Use by 02/03/09 so handy for emergency snacks.
Just place in a dry hot frying pan for 8 seconds or under the grill 8 seconds each side or microwave and then fill with whatever veggie combination takes your fancy.
Not being a veggie I just raid the fridge and wrap whatever comes to hand.
Saturday 8 November 2008 6.58pm
Asda's own brand veggie 'meatballs' are brilliant. If you fry them first they go well in a casserole so he could stick that in the oven.

If he's adventurous, and you want to make something unusual...
Fry onion, garlic, red chillies then add ground cinnamon, turmeric and cumin. Add veg stock and
sweet potato
dried apricots
whole dried limes (punctured)
rose petals (proper cooking ones and prob no more than a teaspoon)

Cook on low heat in saucepan till er cooked. Stick that in the casserole dish and put two hard boiled eggs in it. Cover with a layer of cooked saffron rice. Make sure its got a lid on in his oven.
Sunday 9 November 2008 12.07pm
Thank you for those tips Phoney and Beetroot..I had never heard of dried limes before though, are they easily obtained? or the cooking rose petals?
As I said my brother does a tremendous job caring for my Mum, who has recovered from her stroke in 2006 where Queen Elizabeth hospital wanted to bump her off!

She talks.. laughs, eats a small amount of food drinks small amounts of liquids despite being tube fed!

Still moans about my brothers friends visiting!

So I really want to make this New years day special for him.. All Mum keeps asking for is some lemonade powder to make some lemonade up so we can have a picnic, I have not seen any little sweet shops lately that sell the loose sherbert, so if there are any around SE1..let us know..:-)
Sunday 9 November 2008 12.32pm
Dried limes and rose petals are available in Persepolis on Peckham High Street. They were a bit more than a quid each bag when I last bought some.
Sounds like you really want to treat him, and like he really deserves it. Hope it works whatever you make.
Sunday 9 November 2008 8.20pm
Jan ,how important is the lemonade powder ,the reason i ask is we have two ,old style sweet shops here at Weston-Super-Mare ,i could enquire in these for you ,if you like ,and if they stock it ,we could sort out how to get them to you .

Monday 10 November 2008 11.28am
Thanks nice Dj, Mum for some unknown reason has become fixated on the yellow sherbert that she would have mixed with water for us to have a picnic with..

I can't remember taking bottles out to the park, but I can remember taking a tin cup and filling it from the water fountain/drinking spout just inside tabard park , and climbing on the shelter tipping in the two ounzes of sherbert into it, drinking the lot and having violent pains all afternoon!

I am in Derby at the moment so will ask up here, but if I dont get any will definitely impose on you...:-)
Monday 10 November 2008 12.06pm
I put 'lemonade powder' in google and the first site that came up was this.
There are two different types at the bottom of the page.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: