Restaurant reviews

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 4 February 2009 1.19pm
Re the the front page item "NEVER EVER GO HERE!!!" about Cucina on Belvedere Road.

Click on the link and you're taken to 3 laughingly bad reviews which are coincidentally all made by people who joined on the day of writing their review.

I guess the system of putting it on the front page may be automated but if it's so open to abuse then it's flawed and does SE1 and its businesses a great disservice.

I've never been to the place in question, have no connection, etc.
Wednesday 4 February 2009 1.41pm
I agree it's an issue. For now I've hidden the review in question.

James

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 18 February 2009 9.55am
Yes, I wish there were a way to reply to some of those reviews.
Wednesday 18 February 2009 8.27pm
I disagree - sorry.

Reviews are, by their nature, very subjective and others should not be able to comment on what I say. As long as I stick to the rules and am truthful - what I say should not be challenged. If you don't like my review - post your own review. If I breach the rules - James will delete it.

The exception is fraudulent reviews - but I think that James, with the help of eagle eyed forum members, is on top of it.
Thursday 26 February 2009 12.24am
You may be right. I've seen some reviews that are ridiculous, but maybe that's obvious to readers. I know I'd hate to have them out there to be Googled if I were a restauranteur, though.
Thursday 26 February 2009 1.50pm
You would be surprised how many check this site and Google "my business SE1".

If I am going to give a good review to a place, I normally mention it to the manager and say thanks. Did this a few times when I was out with the SE1 Friday lunch club. Managers mostly say they do check the reviews on here and it is important to them.
Friday 27 February 2009 4.12pm
James
When I look at restaurant reviews I just get a grey box with the ad. I cannot see the review, is anyone else having this problem. I never had this problem reading the reviews before.
Friday 22 May 2009 1.15pm
Jonathan K wrote:
Re the the front page item "NEVER EVER GO HERE!!!" about Cucina on Belvedere Road.
Click on the link and you're taken to 3 laughingly bad reviews which are coincidentally all made by people who joined on the day of writing their review.

I guess the system of putting it on the front page may be automated but if it's so open to abuse then it's flawed and does SE1 and its businesses a great disservice.

I've never been to the place in question, have no connection, etc.

Same again today with the 'Champkind' review on The Bunch of Grapes. Just registered this morning then lays straight into the pub! A bit suspect.
Thursday 4 June 2009 11.33am
it might not be - some people regularly check the forum for months without registering, but when they feel strongly enough about something that they have to post, they then realise that they have to register first.
unless it's incredibly suspicous, I'd tend to give people the benefit of doubt. James is usually very good at spotting when someone is bigging themselves up, or dissing the opposition.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: