Restaurant reviews

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 23 July 2010 4.44pm
I am slightly mystified as to how this section works. Yesterday, there was a review of the Crown, Blackfriars Rd which was not at all complimentary; in fact it couldn't have been more damning.

Today, that review has completely disappeared and a rather suspicious one showering glory on the place is in its stead. This new one mentions almost everything that was slammed in the first one but this time with virtue practically oozing from every pore. It has been written by someone who seems to have registered only to write this paragon of a review.

I don't think I've seen such blatant manipulation on here before. I would be grateful if it could be explained how this can happen.
Saturday 24 July 2010 11.40am
As you say, a review containing some criticism of The Crown was posted a couple of days back.

The landlord objected vociferously to one particular line in the review and asked for it to be removed.

I did not propose to remove it and pointed out that he could have a right to reply.

He also wanted to contact the poster directly and I pointed out he could do this via the PM system.

The poster of the original review then made a follow-up post quoting what he said was a private message he had received from The Crown.

Unfortunately he followed up this quoted private message with ad hominem remarks which I didn't consider to be acceptable.

Not having the time or patience to engage further with the matter, I hid both the original review and the follow-up from public view.

The original poster than added a follow-up message complaining that unflattering remarks had been removed.

Then, as you say, a glowing review appeared on the site and I agree with your analysis that it seemed to address many of the same points raised in the earlier review.

There was no firm evidence to make connection between the incidents or people involved.

I have now hidden the later review too.

I'm less than happy about the way it worked out but I don't have time to spend hours in correspondence between the various parties in this matter.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 24 July 2010 11.33pm
Many thanks for the clarification, James.

I have no axe to grind with the Crown, I just thought the whole thing very strange and didn't want to imagine that a review can get pulled from the site just because the reviewee objects.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: