Sniping vs astroturfing (split from 'hall of shame' thread)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 31 January 2013 2.04pm
I seriously don't understand what's worse. Astroturfing by little local guys on a community website (Larger well backed companies or conglomerates, fair enough), NIMBY's or the select dozen on here who comment on every issue, snipe and think they know it all. Then when asked to stop sniping the humble insincere apology to James. Hunt serial snipers I say, support local business. That's what I thought this area was all about, no chains no high street. Keep it Real......
Thursday 31 January 2013 5.41pm
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:
I seriously don't understand what's worse. Astroturfing by little local guys on a community website (Larger well backed companies or conglomerates, fair enough), NIMBY's or the select dozen on here who comment on every issue, snipe and think they know it all. Then when asked to stop sniping the humble insincere apology to James. Hunt serial snipers I say, support local business. That's what I thought this area was all about, no chains no high street. Keep it Real......

Astro-fertiliser ?
Thursday 31 January 2013 5.50pm
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:
I seriously don't understand what's worse. Astroturfing by little local guys on a community website (Larger well backed companies or conglomerates, fair enough), NIMBY's or the select dozen on here who comment on every issue......

It's not an either/or, is it? There's no connection between the behaviour of established posters on the forum and the propensity for a local business to lie and treat us as stupid.

Astro-turfing shows a disrespect to all of us and indicates a dishonest approach to doing business. Why would we want to support a dishonest business, regardless of whether it's big or small?

This site is a great opportunity for local businesses to introduce themselves to a new audience, announcing their services, sharing their thoughts about what they are trying to achieve and, maybe, offer special deals to locals.

There's no need to lie and cheat (and that's what astroturfing is) in order to get publicity here.
Thursday 31 January 2013 6.22pm
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:

Bit snipey that.
Thursday 31 January 2013 6.37pm
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:

Pot calling kettle black.

Name and shame the 'select dozen'!
Go on, go on, get that bile out family'friendly'se1.

P.S, this area 'all about no chains no high street'??? No sense you make.
Thursday 31 January 2013 7.43pm
and here it comes .......
Thursday 31 January 2013 7.45pm
disrespect .... teehee ..... proves my point
Thursday 31 January 2013 7.55pm
Bile out ...... teehee ..... raw nerve ? No sense you make ? Who are you ? Yoda ?! teehee, oh well if you can't beat em join em ...... what next a fight ? like on the runners in B street thread ?
Friday 1 February 2013 7.12am
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:
Bile out ...... teehee ..... raw nerve ? No sense you make ? Who are you ? Yoda ?! teehee, oh well if you can't beat em join em ...... what next a fight ? like on the runners in B street thread ?

Which bridge do you live under?
Friday 1 February 2013 8.56am
If familyfriendlyse1 would like to have a sensible conversation about what we might do to make the forum friendlier I'd be very glad to listen to his/her ideas.

I am well aware that some people find the prevailing tone of the forum off-putting, and that does trouble me a great deal. I'd like the forum to be as accessible and welcoming as possible. (But you can't please everyone.)

Perhaps starting a thread over in the Feedback section or contacting me directly would be a good way to proceed if anyone would like to have a constructive debate on that issue.

That said, people who dish out caustic remarks should not be surprised when they receive caustic replies.

This thread is very specifically for chronicling incidents of astroturfing.

As for giving small businesses carte blanche to post fake recommendations, I think Rambling Phil's earlier post sums it up perfectly: "Why would we want to support a dishonest business, regardless of whether it's big or small?"

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: