Snipers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 2 February 2013 3.33pm
I don't believe in the saying "you can't please everyone". Someone provides a platform and it's then down to the people who use that platform to find a way not to please everyone but not to offend everyone either and still feel they have been able to speak their mind.
Tuesday 5 February 2013 9.56pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
I don't believe in the saying "you can't please everyone". Someone provides a platform and it's then down to the people who use that platform to find a way not to please everyone but not to offend everyone either and still feel they have been able to speak their mind.

My thoughts exactly. Or to tell someone they are wrong without factual basis or quote. "In my opinion you are wrong " ...... doesn't work for me.
Wednesday 6 February 2013 11.14am
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:
Or to tell someone they are wrong without factual basis or quote. "In my opinion you are wrong " ...... doesn't work for me.

Did you intend this ironic comment after making the following earlier allegation? "the select dozen on here who comment on every issue, snipe and think they know it all"

The comment 'in my opinion you are wrong' is implied wherever a counter view is put forward as a response, even if it isn't stated. We are all allowed to have contrasting opinions, where would the forum be with them.

Just my opinion of course.

This highlights something else that characterises online forums including this one from time to time; that comments and allegations are made anonymously, and without any obligation to back them up with examples or facts. The online equivalent of ringing someone's doorbell and running away!
Thursday 7 February 2013 9.29am
"There's no point debating anything online. You might as well hurl shoes in the air to knock clouds from the sky. The internet's perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain't one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."{Charlie Brooker}. I tend to agree. I use this forum to ask for and offer help and advice, I steer clear of the sniping, it's boring apart from anything else.
Thursday 7 February 2013 9.58am
I like Charlie Brooker, however his "wipe" programms are a kind of sniping as well, without the benefit of anyone being able to retort. Some snipers use forums to vent their thoughts on opinion makers, politicians, athletes etc that they are not able to address in person. From tat point of view, it fullfills a certain purpose, although it might not be everyone's cup of tea.
Monday 18 February 2013 7.18pm
oh Spartacus spartacus spar and cuss. Facts are facts are facts are facts - Fact. So your opinion doesn't work without Facts, in my opinion ...... particularly given my point that it was not my opinion in that particular instance but in fact a fact as a matter of fact.

theres more than a select dozen and the usual suspects are there for all to see, time and again - Fact ......
Tuesday 19 February 2013 3.02pm
are you Stalking me ?! ........
Monday 18 March 2013 8.34pm
Beth wrote:
"There's no point debating anything online. You might as well hurl shoes in the air to knock clouds from the sky. The internet's perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain't one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."{Charlie Brooker}. I tend to agree. I use this forum to ask for and offer help and advice, I steer clear of the sniping, it's boring apart from anything else.
Charlie Brooker likes sniping...games.
Thursday 9 May 2013 10.53am
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:
oh Spartacus spartacus spar and cuss. Facts are facts are facts are facts - Fact. So your opinion doesn't work without Facts, in my opinion ...... particularly given my point that it was not my opinion in that particular instance but in fact a fact as a matter of fact.
theres more than a select dozen and the usual suspects are there for all to see, time and again - Fact ......

I have to say it's posts like this that seriously put me off. Spar and Cuss, Knobwood, BS Onian (I just picked some up from other posts) - is this really necessary just because someone does not appear to agree with you? Can you not just either be polite or just let the subject rest?

It appears to me that there are a lot of people who seem to think they are entitled to their opinion using thinly veiled (if at all) rude comments and bad language. It's very unpleasant behaviour, impolite and downright rude. Think before you post and if you don't want someone to be making snide comments to you, perhaps you should consider not doing it yourself.

Finally, if you don't like the forum feel free to just leave.
Thursday 9 May 2013 11.52am
Tattie wrote:
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:
oh Spartacus spartacus spar and cuss. Facts are facts are facts are facts - Fact. So your opinion doesn't work without Facts, in my opinion ...... particularly given my point that it was not my opinion in that particular instance but in fact a fact as a matter of fact.
theres more than a select dozen and the usual suspects are there for all to see, time and again - Fact ......

I have to say it's posts like this that seriously put me off. Spar and Cuss, Knobwood, BS Onian (I just picked some up from other posts) - is this really necessary just because someone does not appear to agree with you? Can you not just either be polite or just let the subject rest?

It appears to me that there are a lot of people who seem to think they are entitled to their opinion using thinly veiled (if at all) rude comments and bad language. It's very unpleasant behaviour, impolite and downright rude. Think before you post and if you don't want someone to be making snide comments to you, perhaps you should consider not doing it yourself.

Finally, if you don't like the forum feel free to just leave.
Just FYI - my name is eDWaRD WooDWaRD, not Knobwood :)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: