Can you smell chicken?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 19 March 2015 3.14pm
St Johns thread removed....
Thursday 19 March 2015 3.39pm
Pieces of Eight, you know full well why the thread was removed, and I'm disappointed that you posted such inflammatory remarks.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 19 March 2015 4.16pm
James, please tell me where my post was "inflammatory". I know that certain individuals would love to curtail our free speech (and unfortunately, it looks like they are succeeding.) Is the ridiculing of long-dead "religious" figures against the rules?
Read a bit of Christopher Hitchens, he summed up the whole cultist nonsense far better than I can.
Thursday 19 March 2015 4.33pm
If you want to give gratuitous offence to a large section of the world's population please feel free to do so on your own website so that you can be accountable for the consequences.

Thursday 19 March 2015 4.44pm
James Hatts wrote:
If you want to give gratuitous offence to a large section of the world's population please feel free to do so on your own website so that you can be accountable for the consequences.

I understand James. Looks like they've already won.
Thursday 19 March 2015 5.14pm
No comment.
Thursday 19 March 2015 5.27pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
No comment.

That's what the future looks like. Shame.
Thursday 19 March 2015 5.36pm
What you posted was deliberately phrased to be provocative in the extreme.

I do not see what is gained by throwing around crude remarks which many people will take as a fundamental attack on their faith. It's just bad manners, really.

Would you say the same things in face-to-face conversation with Christians or Muslims?

I think you undermine your own argument by being offensive for the sake of it.

Thursday 19 March 2015 11.24pm
James Hatts wrote:
What you posted was deliberately phrased to be provocative in the extreme.
I do not see what is gained by throwing around crude remarks which many people will take as a fundamental attack on their faith. It's just bad manners, really.

Would you say the same things in face-to-face conversation with Christians or Muslims?

I think you undermine your own argument by being offensive for the sake of it.

I have had these types of conversations with Christians and Muslims. Thankfully, they're not all fruit loops. I simply do not see my remarks as being "crude" or bad manners. I am not criticising those who worship these two historical non-entities. I do reserve the right to question/parody/criticise these long-dead "visionaries". Who's to say that in 2,000 years time there will not be a church of Psychic Sally? Her comments and her "insights" are no less valid than these two. You of course reserve the right to remove my posts, but let's be honest here James, you did it out of fear of offending Muslims who have shown in the past that they are more than willing to harm people who criticise Islam and "the prophet".
Was the "Life of Brian" a fundamental attack on people's faith? Is Andre Serrano's "P@@s Christ" offensive for the sake of it? Was Salman Rusdie's Satanic Verses provocative in the extreme? And let's not forget the brave folks at Charlie Hebdo. I would suggest that they were shining examples of free expression and should be protected at all costs. If a religion of 1 billion plus adherents does not have the inner strength to ignore criticism a
Thursday 19 March 2015 11.29pm
Post finished early, If a religion of 1 billion plus adherents do not have the inner strength to ignore lampooning of their deity, I would suggest that there is something fundamentally weak about their faith.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: