Old messages

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 2 September 2004 11.43pm
In a fit of nostalgia, I tried to read the oldest mesages on the forum.

If you click the link labelled "Last" it goes to the first page.

If you go through clicking the last page shown in the list and then finally click page 58 (the last one listed) that also shows page 1. The last page you can click on is page 57.

Not a real problem, but thought you might like to know.

Thursday 2 September 2004 11.47pm
Yes, I had noticed that too. But thanks for the reminder.

I had considered removing the 'last' link from the template, but then it would make it harder to navigate Chatter and Feedback where the 'last' link does work correctly.

I'm not sure there's anything I can do to fix it - just one of those odd database things.

I need to upgrade the Phorum software (again) soon, so you never know - that might fix it.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 3 September 2004 12.42pm
I made a similar foray last night, to see whether any of the names of posters from the early days are recognisable.

I noticed that some of the message threads of early 1991 vintage seem to have stray posts from other threads at the bottom.
Friday 3 September 2004 12.45pm
Yes - those messages were manually imported from the previous forum software, and it seems that some of the message IDs have got a bit mangled. It's irritating, but I'm not sure there's much point fixing it now.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 8 September 2004 10.33am
Lang Rabbie wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I noticed that some of the message threads of
> early 1991 vintage seem to have stray posts from
> other threads at the bottom.

Good grief, there was no internet in 1991, and our Glorious Editor was surely still in short trousers at the time!
Wednesday 8 September 2004 12.35pm
> Good grief, there was no internet in 1991, and
> our Glorious Editor was surely still in short
> trousers at the time!

Oops, of course should have said 2001 in my original post.

But there was a long established internet in 1991 - with a character based user interface and strange file transfer protocols that I have long forgotten. It was just the world wide web that a twinkle in Tim Berners-Lee's eye.

Back in 1994, an old university friend demonstrated some of the first web pages to me at CERN in Geneva, where he was working on message encryption.

I'm afraid to say that unlike my friend, I couldn't see the commercial potential for e-commerce. Suffice to say that very good vintage Veuve Clicquot was on offier at his wedding five years later when he was a paper millionaire several times over.

Moral - never take investment advice from Lang Rabbie.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 8 September 2004 12.36pm by Lang Rabbie.
Wednesday 8 September 2004 3.55pm
Oops, of course I should have said world wide web - for I sent my first email in about 1991 or 92. It seemed pretty pointless then!

Anyway, is your paper millionaire still a millionaire...?
Wednesday 8 September 2004 4.53pm
Risking this thread being discarded into Chatter...

After their IPO, his company engineered a reverse takeover of a much larger one for paper, and then sold that business for cash, so they came out of the dotcom bust still holding cash.

Think his money is in Massachusetts real estate these days.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: