Google ads

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 30 September 2004 6.06pm
I don't like the google ads that appear after the first post in each thread.
Thursday 30 September 2004 6.44pm
Hey Miss Jo Jo,

The illustrious Mr H will know, but could it be a result of your computer / security settings ?

When I access from work (behind a firewall and adblocker) the top of my screen where the Google ads are is blank, but I can see an ad after the first post like you. When I do the same from home (firewall but SE1forum is a "friendly" site) I can see the ads at the top but not the one after the first post.

I had assumed it was a workaround by Phorum / Google to make sure its advertisers got their monies worth ?
Thursday 30 September 2004 7.14pm
The extra ads were added by me, when Google recently changed its policy to allow more than one block of text ads on a page.

I agree that they are less than elegant, and I will be changing the colour of the ads to better fit in with the forum layout.

FWIW, I would urge people not to use adblockers, as the ads pay for your use of the site!

Though I realise that those using work computer may have no choice in the matter.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 30 September 2004 11.33pm
Sorry - I feel bad for criticising this excellent website. I don't mind ads per se, I just don't like these extra ads and where they appear. (I prefer my ads where I can ignore them, but that's presumably why google have changed their policy!)

Still, if it enables you to run this website, James, I'm not that bothered by them really. Ignore me - I'm a bit narky today.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: