"APPEAL FOR ASSISTANCE" spam

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 24 February 2005 6.55pm
Has anyone else received this Zimbabwean variant on the usual funds fraud e-mail spam which has an unusual topicality?

It has come through to my London-SE1 specific e-mail identity, so I'm wondering how they got their hands on it.

"May I first of all honestly express the seriousness and dutifulness with which I am sharing this correspondence with you. I implore you to hold it and all subsequent correspondences regarding this proposition in strictest confidentiality. "

"My name is Miss Anita Kaban the daughter of Mr. Behki kaban of blessed memory from Zimbabwe, During the current crises against the farmers in Zimbabwe from the supports of President Robert Mugabe to claim all the white-owned farms to his party members and his followers, he ordered all white farmers to surrender all farms to his party members and his
followers. "

"My father is One of the most successful multy farmers in our country and because he did not support Mugabe`s ideas, Mugabes supporters invaded his farm and burnt everything in the farm, killing him and made away with a lot of items in my fathers farm. Before his death, my father had deposited with BANK IN ASIA the sum of (USD $6.5 MILLION)."

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 24 February 2005 6.56pm by Lang Rabbie.
Thursday 24 February 2005 6.59pm
Maybe because your email address isn't hidden - when you click on your username, the address comes up - presumably it can be harvested by a remote program that way.

There is an option to hide your mail address in the control panel - click Edit my Privacy options.
Friday 25 February 2005 1.05pm
I answered one a bit like that a few months ago (but for South Africa)
since handing over my bank details, I've been asked to send payments, to cover all sorts of expenses (mostly backhanders) before the money can be cleared to my account and my percentage claimed.
obviously you have to spend money to earn money, so in a few weeks time (i'm assured), the formalities will be cleared and I can be announced the legal heir to the estate, and the money will be transfered.

I was a bit suspicious to start with, but I've phoned the guy several times (spending a lot on international phone calls), and he has assured me that even though it's highly illegal, it's the only way that he can access the money, and the authorities will never know (because he's paying them with bribes from my account). he also told me that the money will not be taxable, as it's not actually income, or capital gains, or inheritance (i'm only actually the rightfull heir, in South Africa - I'm still who I say I am over here)

so this time next month Rodney - we'll be millionaires!
Friday 25 February 2005 5.27pm
Siduhe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe because your email address isn't hidden -
> when you click on your username, the address comes
> up - presumably it can be harvested by a remote
> program that way.
>
> There is an option to hide your mail address in
> the control panel - click Edit my Privacy options.

Thanks, I know that, but people from the forum occasionally want to mail me with more flexibiltity that the PMs on this board. As this is the first one for about six months, I won't bother changing things yet.
Monday 28 February 2005 9.12pm
I have made a change which I should have made a long time ago.

Members' email addresses - of those members who have not chosen to hide their address - are now only viewable by other logged-in users of the forum.

This should prevent most automated address harvesters from capturing your address from this site. Though it won't prevent the most determined spammers, of course.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 1 March 2005 11.07am
Thanks James
Monday 7 March 2005 8.47am
I've been saving these since 2002, sad git that I am - I now have a folder of 185 emails, which if I had responded to each of them and followed the instructions carefully would clearly have made me 3.7 billion (approx). Some are quite inventive, mostly they're semi-literate. And yet they continue to reel people in. Go figure...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: