Paying for this website...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 16 March 2005 5.44pm
Are there any ways that regular posters can help to keep the pennies rolling in to support this website?.

I was aware that when recommending books/records that may not be available through local stockists, we don't have a portal readily to hand to link to and ensure In-SE1 gets the commission as an associate/affiliate if someone is daft enough to listen to one of my recommendation and buy it.

Most books on the local history list under the "History and Heritage" menu of the Exploring part of the site start...

where XXXXXXXXXX is the ISBN (but for some reason John Beasley's Southwark Remembered doesn't )
Thursday 17 March 2005 4.11pm
That's a good idea. I'll set up a page with Amazon and lastminute,com search boxes on it which people can use.

Certainly any support from the 'regulars' in that way would be very much appreciated.

The site is actually (touch wood) doing reasonably well at the moment - but I would comment that the forum (which consumes half the total bandwidth used by the site) is being subsidised by those who use the site to find tourist information (eg find hotels etc) who provide the bulk of the revenue.

However, we are planning to diversify our revenue streams, so watch this space.

I am about to embark on the daunting task of moving Bankside Press's various sites and services over to our brand new dedicated server.

This will pave the way for future developments by giving us much more flexibility (and much needed bandwidth). Unfortunately I need to learn the finer points of server administration ASAP.

But once it's done, we will finally be able to embark on many of the new features we've long been promising.

Overall I am very confident about the future of the site. I think the next few months are going to be very exciting.

In May, this site will be seven years old, which is quite scary.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 23 March 2005 10.56am

It's a start, and will be improved in due course.

Wednesday 23 March 2005 4.40pm
I've just clicked the TalkTalk and the Eurostar banners and I'd like to order an SE1 baseball cap please.
Wednesday 30 March 2005 12.04am
SE1 baseball caps - sounds like a job for
Wednesday 30 March 2005 12.08am
Actually I was thinking of getting some mugs made, following the example of our friends over at Newspad, the Paddington website:

Wednesday 30 March 2005 12.14am
Well I hope your mug-marketing is better - I just had a quick look and couldn't see a picture of the mug anywhere! or maybe I was just not looking right. Nice idea though, and there must be scope for a few related ideas (the cafepress ones don't cost a penny up front, which is always nice), so SE1 calendars - new and old photos etc, and many more. A badge for secret SE1 community recognition in the street perhaps?

My first very rubbish attempt at a cafepressshop is at but I'm just fiddling around for fun so far, until the master plan kicks in :-) Still, it's dead easy if you have the time and the images (and more design skills than me, obviously).

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 30 March 2005 12.17am by markandjoan.
Wednesday 30 March 2005 12.24am
A badge - that's a good idea!
Wednesday 30 March 2005 12.41am
Can we have badges saying I heart James Hatts? With a heart shape instead of the word heart, of course.

Right, I really need to get to bed.

Night night.
Wednesday 27 April 2005 3.23pm
barkyhead Wrote:
> A badge - that's a good idea!

A great idea. Something small, but distinctive. I love the idea of walking round the nieghbourhood/sitting in the Oak/whatever and seeing someone else wearing one.

We could have passwords as well

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: