Changes to the forum

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 16 January 2006 3.07pm
As you may have noticed, the forum has received an upgrade over the weekend.

Major changes include a new private message system, including email notification when you have a new PM.

If you need to change the email address you have registered with us, you can do so in your Control Panel:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/control.php?1,panel=email

Other cosmetic changes include improved handling of quoted text

Quote:
blah blah blah

There are still a few customisations to be made to get everything looking roughly how it did before the upgrade, but it seems to be working at the moment.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20 January 2006 11.13am by James Hatts.
Monday 16 January 2006 9.53pm
Not a big fan of the way links are automatically now inserted when local businesses are mentioned; Pizza Express or Starbucks for example.

Can we have the option to turn off these automatic hyperlinks in the control panel please? It seems a bit invasive...
Monday 16 January 2006 10.52pm
They're more subtle now - is that better? They're all internal links to other parts of the site.

It's just a matter of getting the different sections of the site better integrated - something I've been keen to do for a while, and which was backed up by the suggestion box exercise we ran between Christmas and New Year.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16 January 2006 10.53pm by James Hatts.
Tuesday 17 January 2006 8.32am
Fair enough James.
Tuesday 17 January 2006 4.26pm
One other thing I've noticed - by force of habit I keep clicking on the "post a reply" link underneath a message - but the link itself is dead (I just get a " the message you are looking for cannot be found") as is the "quote and reply" link. "Reply by PM" is working fine.

Is this intentional (in which case, would it make sense to remove these options ?) or a hangover from the upgrade ?

I really like the internal links for restaurants and other parts of the site but, on a personal preference note, I'm not a fan of the extra click to get back to the forum after posting a message. I already know what the latest news stories are from the header of the forum (which is great), but guess this is one of the ideas for integrating various parts of the site ?
Tuesday 17 January 2006 4.32pm
siduhe wrote:
One other thing I've noticed - by force of habit I keep clicking on the "post a reply" link underneath a message - but the link itself is dead (I just get a " the message you are looking for cannot be found") as is the "quote and reply" link. "Reply by PM" is working fine.
Is this intentional (in which case, would it make sense to remove these options ?) or a hangover from the upgrade ?
Most odd - will investigate.
siduhe wrote:
I'm not a fan of the extra click to get back to the forum after posting a message. I already know what the latest news stories are from the header of the forum (which is great), but guess this is one of the ideas for integrating various parts of the site ?
I may set an auto-redirect back to the forum after a few seconds on that page. I'll see how it goes. The content on that 'thank you' page may vary too ... it won't always be news.

Tuesday 17 January 2006 4.34pm
Siduhe wrote:
Those links work again now I've put the reply form back on a separate page. I'm in two minds about that, though.

Tuesday 17 January 2006 4.58pm
The broken reply links seem to be a known bug in this latest version of Phorum. A fix has been provided and I'll apply it when I get a chance.

Tuesday 17 January 2006 5.56pm
Siduhe wrote:
Now fixed - if not, let me know.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: